Re: Draft minutes for 2011-09-28

Hi Leigh,

As a minor correction to the minutes, I wasn't saying that by the time you
get to sorting a repeat table, it is clear that a function won't work *for
XPath 1*.

It is *generally* true of XPath 1 that nodesets are considered to be in
document order, so a function that reorders a nodeset is not guaranteed to
work in all implementations, even if it does work in some.

But more to the point where the correction is being made, it does not
matter whether you have XPath 1 or XPath 2, if a repeat nodeset uses a
function that reorders nodes relative to document order, then this will
conflict with the use of the repeat index to address into that data to
perform insert and delete operations, such as for table row addition or
deletion.  The repeat index indicates the repeat item, which corresponds
to the table row number as rendered.

To fix this, we would need a way to ask for the repeat item node
corresponding to the indexed repeat.  With that additional piece of
information, one could use a count of its preceding-siblings to help
configure the insert action's "at" attribute setting.  The delete action's
"at" attribute could be similarly configured, or one could just delete the
indicated repeat item node.

Cheers,
John