This is a permutation, those aren't, was Re: XQuery (not XPath 2.0, or XPath 1.0) permutations

From: John Boyer <boyerj@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 14:32:51 -0700
To: "Leigh L. Klotz, Jr." <Leigh.Klotz@Xerox.com>
Cc: public-forms@w3.org
Hi Leigh,

The author of the blog you cited is confused about what a permutation is.
His code generated the power set of the given set, not the permutation
set.

For the set of four elements {a, b, c, d} he showed, there are 4!=24
permutations, each of which has all four elements in a different order.
Here's what they look like:

{a, b, c, d}
{a, b, d, c}
{d, c, b, a}

The problem we were discussing this morning was to randomly generate one
permutation of a set of numbers so that the rearranged order of the
numbers could be used as a lens to rearrange a set of choices presented by
the itemset of a select or select1.

I just posted a blog entry [1] that shows the XForms needed to generate a
permutation and then apply it to the itemset of a select1.

[1]
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/JohnBoyer/entry/randomizing_the_responses_to_a_survey_question_in_xforms29

Cheers,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
Distinguished Engineer, IBM Forms and Smarter Web Applications
IBM Canada Software Lab, Victoria

Blog RSS feed: