Node creation functions

From: John Boyer <boyerj@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 11:58:21 -0700
To: public-forms@w3.org
We have a wiki page:
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/wiki/Node_Creation_XPath_Functions

This indicates the functions are "already in Orbeon".  OK, why?

A too-technical answer is "it would be nice to create elements/attributes
not expressed beforehand in an instance", but I'm asking what are the use
cases for the element() and attribute() functions?

For example, one could say "I was trying to write a form that would be an
XML editor and so I need to be able to create nodes whose names are
defined by a user, not by a form author who wrote an instance."  Question:
Was this the use case, or are there any others?

Going a bit further, we now have a version of spec-ready text:
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/wiki/XPath_Expressions_Module#Node_creation_Functions

Feedback:
1) it would be good for the examples to show the serialization of the
nodes created by the example function calls
2) more text is needed to indicate what happens, if anything, in invalid
scenarios, e.g. what if the qname contains an undefined namespace prefix?
3) More text needed to describe how the created nodes connect to the rest
of the machinery of XML.  For example, is the example given really
intended to assign an ID to an attribute?  Will subsequent calls to id()
return the node?  Can ID-ness be attached by adding an xsi:type attribute
to an element being created?  Does attribute creation include the ability
to create namespace declarations?
4) Provide a real example where the attribute() function must be called
independently of the element() function, such as inserting an attribute.

Thanks,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
Distinguished Engineer, IBM Forms and Smarter Web Applications
IBM Canada Software Lab, Victoria

Blog RSS feed: