JSONx sent to the IETF

Hi Everyone,

Further to our thread on JSON here:
[1] http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/wiki/Json

I've recently learned of an IBM submission to IETF here:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-rsalz-jsonx/

Further info:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/soma/entry/jsonx_threat_or_menace23?lang=en

FYI, I don't happen to be involved in this effort in any way.
I would recommend that the group consider this submission and comment on
it.

You will notice that it seems to take the approach of perfect encoding at
the expense of easy readability, both of markup and of xpath references
thereto.  For example, the following appears in the IETF draft:

{ "Ticker" : "IBM" }

   <json:object>
       <json:string name="Ticker">IBM</json:string>
   </json:object>

This would mean it would be necessary to reference this using
"json:string[@name='Ticker']" in our usual XPaths, which take the root
element node for granted.

In my view, the approach in the above mentioned wiki page [1] should be
suggested as an important alternative that enables XML-based processing to
operate more succinctly over the data.  The above example would be encoded
as

<json>
   <Ticker>IBM</Ticker>
</json>

Which yields the much more respectable reference "Ticker" in our usual
XPaths, which take the root element for granted.  Even when using absolute
references, we get "/json/Ticker".

Granted this approach is not 100% achievable on all JSON, but [1] also
clarifies what to do with JSON names that are not XML, and the result is
still far more intelligible and achieves coverage of the edge cases while
not polluting the usual cases with unnecessary and confusing use of both
structure and namespacing.

John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
Distinguished Engineer, IBM Forms and Smarter Web Applications
IBM Canada Software Lab, Victoria
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Blog RSS feed:

----- Forwarded by John Boyer/CanWest/IBM on 05/03/2011 11:44 AM -----