Re: Updated XPath Expression module

Hi Nick,

I would've made the suggested changes below on the wiki, but it actually
looks like this this module is being done with spec xml?

Wording looks good overall.

I'd recommend getting rid of the "note" aspect and just make this another
paragraph.  Some readers of W3C specs (not equal to me) have interpreted
notes as informative rather than normative, whereas we're using the word
"may" to indicate a legitimate implementation option.

Second, I'd recommend the sentence be rearranged a bit to enable you to
change from "engine" to "implementation" and also to formally specref
XPath 1.0 and XPath 2.0 in the sentence as you go.  Like this:

If XPath 1.0 compatibility mode is requesed, an XForms processor may use
either an XPath 1.0 implementation [XPath 1.0] or an XPath 2.0
implementaiton in XPath 1.0 compatibility mode [XPath 2.0].

Then your following sentence that starts "Be aware that some
expressions..." could instead just start as "Some expressions...".  It is
tempting to make that sentence a note, but best not to because your final
sentence says something normative again, namely that exceptions can
happen.

Cheers,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
Distinguished Engineer, IBM Forms and Smarter Web Applications
IBM Canada Software Lab, Victoria
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Blog RSS feed: