Re: Added text regarding nodes that don't belong to an instance

Hi John,

Thank you for the fast response. I think it is best that we put this on the agenda of one the next calls, because I'm not 100% sure that I understand what you are trying do with the associations.

In my mind nodes that are part of instance are 'special' nodes to which you can attach MIPs. Nodes that aren't part of an instance (i.e.: the root node of the node isn't the live instance data node) could be nodes of any kind (which implement the XPath node interface) but don't necessary have the ability to hold MIP information.

I don't think that we can require that an implementation is able to attach MIPs and support mutation of all the nodes a function returns. An implementation could for example have a function that returns the host document, or implementation dependent information.

I don't completely get your associate proposal, in my mind you can only 'associate' a node to an instance by inserting it into a live instance, by which you easily know at runtime when a node is part of instance (you can get the root node and/or owning document). If we really need a way to dynamically create instances we could probably better have a function to create/request a dynamic instance (maybe as simple as an optional parameter on the instance function, create-if-not-exist). This would be a small change and would solve the same use cases as the getAssociation and setAssociation function, if I understand your use-case correctly. But I think it would be better to discuss this on a teleconf.

Kind regards,

Nick Van den Bleeken
R&D Manager

Phone: +32 3 821 01 70