Re: XForms 1.2: XPath 2.0 Module update

Hi Nick,

I can't think of a reason to attach a MIP to atomic values, assuming I
understand you correctly that these atomic items are orphaned objects and
not part of an instance.  The point of MIP binding is to attach metadata
to nodes so that other parts of the XForms ecosystem can gain a benefit
from the metadata by virtue of binding to the same node.

However, saying 'no' to attaching a MIP to context item produced by a bind
nodeset attr (or whatever we call it, e.g. ref), is not the same as saying
that the bind nodeset/ref cannot produce atomic item results.  One
possible use of this is when the xforms bind is essentially acting like a
model-level repeat, i.e. the bind has a nodeset/ref binding attribute but
not a MIP attribute.  Such a bind could provide atomic value context items
to a repeated set of inner binds, and those inner binds could consume the
context items by using the context() function within an absolute xpath
expression that starts with instance().

If the instance function has an ID, then all is good, but if it doesn't,
then, this leads a bit to your second question.  I think the answer there
is that the instance() function does not depend on the context, except for
determining the model.  It just returns the root element of the default
instance.  So, if a context item has no identified model, then we should
just say to use the default model.  I would also say we should enhance
instance() to say that if it is given the ID of a model element, then it
should know to produce the default instance of that model.

Cheers,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
Distinguished Engineer, IBM Forms and Smarter Web Applications
IBM Canada Software Lab, Victoria
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Blog RSS feed: