Re: A few more ideas on delete and iterate

Yeah, I agree it's a case of "one man's limitation is another man's
sensible behavior."
And if the situation were reversed, it would be "one man's non-intuitive
behavior is another man's useful feature."

As an indicator of this, I didn't really see the +'s and -'s working out
the same way Nick did.  For example, the marking of deleted nodes seems to
be needed regardless of which way this turns out, in order to make it
possible to have any kind of vocabulary to access the use case of the
"other man".

Moreover, I'm not even really fully in the camp of "delete destroys nodes"
as Nick characterizes below.  What I am saying is that the current spec
gives me a clear and rigorous idea of when the nodes are supposed to go
away, which is after processing of the xforms-delete event.  Which means
that they do live briefly after their deletion.

I don't have a problem with the nodes continuing to live as long as we do
rigorously define under what conditions they continue to live, how are
they accessed, and when do they get destroyed for real.

Separately, I happen to think it is counterintuitive for "deleted" nodes
to continue to be accessible *by default*.  This is why we need to hew
toward Leigh's suggestion of seeing what are the actual use cases.  Nick
said that it breaks some of our new features if the deleted nodes are
unavailable/destroyed.  OK, so what is the markup for these features?

This is necessary to get a sense of whether the use cases could still be
easily solved if we assume the addition of an extra function that can
access the deleted nodes.  I think it would be OK to access the deleted
nodes by a non-default or "explicit" piece of vocabulary.

Assuming access to deletednodes by an explicit piece of vocabulary would
also get rid of complexities of other solutions that might be based on
creating a pseudo-MIP around readonly-ness or non-relevance.

For example, perhaps xforms:delete could get an extra parameter that
provides an XPath variable name where to store the deleted nodes so that
they are referenceable later by that name:

<xforms:delete nodeset="some/nodes" saveto="X"/>
<xforms:insert ... origin="$X"/>

And, perhaps the nodes should go away for good if they are deleted from
the saved name, e.g.
<xforms:delete nodeset="$X"/>

and/or they get moved if you do something like this:
<xforms:delete nodeset="$X[predicate]" saveto="Y"/>

Question: Are the uses cases described by Nick (and Erik) solvable with
this type of solution?

John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
Distinguished Engineer, IBM Forms and Smarter Web Applications
IBM Canada Software Lab, Victoria
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Blog RSS feed: