regex match AND replace

From: John Boyer <boyerj@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 11:39:36 -0700
To: public-forms@w3.org
Just to further articulate the regex pattern issue, note that basic
validation can be achieved with a type MIP and a simpleType definition in
the model, as shown here:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-forms/2010Sep/0038.html

However, an XPath 2.0 style function matches() would still be useful in a
constraint MIP and moreover, an XPath 2.0 style function replace() would
be equally handy.  We are often hitting a situation where we want to match
a regex and then reorganize the information based on the group matches
within that regex.

Cheers,
John