Re: XForms 1.1 erratum for select and select1 and ordering of help/hint/alert/action

Well, allowing full and arbitrary mixing of UI common and list UI common
elements is what I thought Leigh was asking me to do.

It's one thing to say to do it "whatever the impact on the XForms schema
might be" but it's another to be the person who has to do the surgery on
both the XML schema and RNG schema, and then *sell* that as a minor
change.

In this regard, I like the working group approach better because it is a
minimal schema change that has maximal effect in terms of what authors are
actually likely to do.  They probably are likely to group the UI common
elements together.  The real issue we're trying to fix is that they are
likely to group them together right after the label element, for
consistency with other UI controls.  The schema as-is is certainly too
restrictive. The working group decided to fix it by allowing UI.common
before List UI common as well as after.  That's been done.  A more
powerful solution *could* be achieved as long as someone is willing to
spend time on it, but someone != me because because it does not give much
practical benefit over the solution we already chose.  But if this topic
is a high priority for anyone else, I certainly don't object to them
taking it on.

Anyway, Leigh did an alternative change in RNG, before the WG decision. It
is slightly more restrictive, and now he's asking whether we should go
with that or go with the solution encoded in the XML schema.

I liked the working group's solution because it was the most certain to
work in XML schema, but I also like Leigh's solution because it is the
minimum change of validating content that still solves the problem of
allowing author consistency across UI elements.

However, something felt a little fishy about it, so I asked a co-worker at
my office to try out the XML schema fragment that seemed to match Leigh's
RNG expression.  Unfortunately, it does not work and it appears that XML
schema does not allow this type of construct, at least not without more
effort (and please see above for my view on how much effort I think should
be spent on this).

The technical error we get is "Unique Particle Attribution" error.  This
happens because XML schema expects to be able to unambiguously determine
what is going on with only local content particles (a constant-sized
lookahead). When you have

<select 1 ...>
        <label>...
        <itemset ...> ...
</select1>

It would validate against both (UI.Common* List.UI.Common+) and
(List.UI.Common+ UI.Common*).
However, it looks like XML schema processors want to choose which one of
these to use based on at most the first element after label, the <itemset>
in this case.  But because we have UI.Common* at the front of the first
rule, both it and the second rule are applicable, which is ambiguous.

The problem worsens, I think, with

<select 1 ...>
        <label>...
        <itemset ...> ...
        <hint>...
</select1>

because clearly only the second rule applies, but apparently XML schema
only looks as far as the itemset and gives up before knowing that one of
the rules will fail and the other will succeed.

It appears that RNG keeps going and allows the content if one or more of
the choices will validate the content.

Long story short, the most expedient solution to our problem is to keep
the erratum as-is and change the RNG schema.

Cheers,
John