Re: DOM3 Events last call comment

On 10/20/10, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 9:03 PM, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On 10/20/10, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
>>> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 5:23 AM, Steven Pemberton
>>> <Steven.Pemberton@cwi.nl> wrote:

[...]
>> Tell me if I got this wrong: I took "synonymous in all languages" to
>> mean that "click" and "activate" do the same thing in all DOMs (SVG,
>> HTML, MathML (?)).
>
> That the two events are always fired together in all DOMs, yes. I.e.
> If you use the mouse or keyboard to activate an XForms element or SVG
> element, always fires both DOMActivate and click.

OK.

The editors draft discusses DOMActivate in many places. The reader
must keep in mind that that event is deprecated, remembering to ignore
descriptions of DOMActivate where it is discussed for other features
such as isTrusted. It's complicated.

Removing activation events from the draft entirely would seem to
simplify the document.

>>> 4. Keep both 'DOMActivate' and 'click' for now, deprecate DOMActivate
>>> from the DOM-Events spec but still allow other specs to use it if they
>>> so choose. This means that if other specs choose to also deprecate
>>> DOMActivate, authors using those specs will have to migrate to using
>>> 'click'. If other specs choose not to deprecate 'DOMActivate' then
>>> authors can keep doing what they've always done.

I'm starting to see where Simon's coming from with the nukes :-).

>> How does a program differentiate a pointer-triggered "click" from a
>> "touch" triggered click?
>
> How does one now? Do you have proposals?

I don't know and I don't have a proposal. I haven't been in a
situation where I needed to do that.

Garrett