Re: action/@iterate

Hi Leigh,

The iteration I referred to was with the @while attribute on action.

The challenge with @iterate is not unlike the challenges we discussed
today for proposed functions like xslt(), which is that we want new
language features to work well with existing language features.  Not just
for the dominant use cases where we expect the feature to be most used,
but in the edge cases too.

This is where we had difficulty with @iterate previously.  Not to say the
issues can't be solved, just that we would have to spend the time ensuring
they are solved and specifying those solutions.  The main issue is that
@iterate produces a nodeset that spans beyond the lifetime of the actions
within the loop body, whereas @while produces an ephemeral result that we
use and forget.  A loop based on while places no expectations *on the
XForms processor* regarding maintenance of state across data mutations
performed by the loop body, whereas @iterate does.

Put simply, if you have a 20-node nodeset produced by @iterate, and then
inside the loop body, you start deleting nodes that have not yet been
processed, what is supposed to happen?  Similarly, if the loop body adds
nodes that the @iterate would match, do they get added to the iteration?
Would an iteration be expected to finish if it invokes a replace all
submission?  I haven't fully poked at this, so maybe there are other
issues...

John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM, Lotus Forms
IBM Victoria Software Lab