Erik Bruchez, Orbeon
John Boyer, IBM
Nick van den Bleeken, Inventive Designers
Steven Pemberton, CWI/W3C
Leigh Klotz, Xerox (minutes)
Uli Lissé, DreamLab

* Agenda

http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/wiki/FtF_2010_03_24_Agenda#Agenda

Nick van: Are we going to be as compatible as possible with XPath 1.0 or be as friendly as possible to XPath 2.0?
Nick van: What do we do if the context is empty? In XPath 1.0, it means expressions cannot be evaluated and relevance means that form controls are disabled.
Erik Bruchez: I have some doubt about context item formally allowed to be empty. Perhaps that is only in Saxon.
John Boyer: That's not really specific to groups; any control behaves as not relevant if the UI doesn't bind to anything. If you can't evaluate the XPath expression that's the degenerate case. The absence of a context node means you can't run the XPath and so degenerately it doesn't bind to anything. If the XPath returns an empty nodeset, in XPath 2.0 I'd still expect that would work. Even without a context node, if you ruin the expression and it's empty nodeset, that still gives non-relevant behavior.
Nick van: That's also what I think.
Leigh Klotz: How can you get an empty context concretely?
John Boyer: Using a predicate.
Leigh Klotz: How can it arise in XForms, though?
Erik Bruchez: If you style the non-relevant group contents to display, as we said a couple of days ago, would the binding still apply and the value display?
John Boyer: Even in XForms 1.0 we have the styling issue because a group can become non-relevant by binding to a node whose MIP is relevant=false.
Erik Bruchez: ...
John Boyer: We could get rid of that feature. But we do have it and if we make this choice we're eliminating that feature.
Erik Bruchez: I think it would be better to find a more consistent way to obtain the feature, in a more author-friendly way, perhaps using readonly, or something else more explicit.
John Boyer: I think styling non-relevant things as visible but disabled seems non-sensical. If it's not relevant but you can see it, how is it not relevant?
Erik Bruchez: As Steven put it, it doesn't belong to the form anymore.
John Boyer: We had these cases where people don't want something to disappear, but we want it grayed out.
Steven Pemberton: In menu systems, entries are grayed out.
Leigh Klotz: Some
John Boyer: It could be non-relevant or it could be disabled.
Leigh Klotz: We had greyed-out menu items that had a hint showing why there were disabled.
Steven Pemberton: I think it's the same thing.
Erik Bruchez: Being there is different from not being there.
John Boyer: This is a comment about menu items; data relevance is about data nodes whose values we intend to collect.
Leigh Klotz: Yes, we don't say what relevance means to itemset nodes. We've also seen the same hack with trigger and readonly.
Erik Bruchez: Yes, we got some pushback for doing that. If it's confusing for us, imagine form authors! We need to shift the balance from being abstract to hidden/readonly/visible-relevance for our sanity and for form authors, and for interoperability.
Steven Pemberton: I don't agree, I'm afraid. I think there's a to say in some situations items disappear and in some situations they are greyed out. I'm not sure about worrying about the updates of grayed-out things.
Erik Bruchez: Some implementations want to show values for non-relevant sections, but if the values don't update, users will think it's a bug. On the other hand, we make it hard to optimize out the other pages or cases.
Steven Pemberton: In our system, if it was visible, we did it, and if it wasn't we didn't.
Nick van: XForms is independent in principle of the host language, which drives visibility. So you'd have to fully support, say, CSS.
Steven Pemberton: So there may be no feedback from the CSS.
Nick van: Server-based systems might not.
Erik Bruchez: You need feedback from the UI layer to tell you whether to compute it.
Leigh Klotz: CSS also has both show and visible, meaning different things.

John Boyer: The most basic atomic case is a node (name) with a value ("A") and a relevance bind, and xf:input ref="name" and a CSS rules that says to show as disabled, do you expect to see A in the input?
Leigh Klotz: Ignoring the name of the CSS property you use to obtain that, that to me says you want it readonly.
John Boyer: Never mind if the value changes; for the first time, the form says relevant=false(), do you expect the UI control to show you the value in the name element?
Charlie Wiecha: I would hope not.
Erik Bruchez: It seems clear to me.
John Boyer: That is the same way as saying that there's no way to style non-relevant controls as disabled.
Charlie Wiecha: That what I got from the discussion two days ago.
Erik Bruchez: It's all based on the notion of relevance; it up to anybody to figure out what it means?
John Boyer: irrelevant means ...
Steven Pemberton: If I'm paying for something and the system reads my info, it may still have my credit card info but if I pay cash it's not relevant. It doesn't mean the data isn't there. It's not readonly.
Erik Bruchez: You might not see it.
Steven Pemberton: If my bank data has all my details, I'm not convinced that we have to force applications to say that we can't show it.
Erik Bruchez: Say readonly.
Steven Pemberton: But it's not readonly.
John Boyer: If the form author has not relevant but must show to user, then the form author has made two contradictory decisions.
Steven Pemberton: It's not right. I don't see how we say that. It's not relevant because it's not used for that payment.
John Boyer: If the form author has to show it, it's relevant.
Steven Pemberton: Don't flicker the screen; grey out the data.
John Boyer: So just don't show the data.
Steven Pemberton: That works for me.
John Boyer: But outputs won't show. So maybe it won't work.
Steven Pemberton: We should cover these use cases.
Erik Bruchez: We are taking one word and trying to interpret it. Users use relevance to hide things now, in groups of forms. I can't show it because there is no xpath evaluation context. On the other hand use cases call for showing it sometimes.
Nick van: We talked about model vs UI readonly. Now we have maybe the same thing for relevant.
Leigh Klotz: That's why I proposed prune.
Erik Bruchez: It's never been clear what relevance means.
Steven Pemberton: So we need to improve the UI part and make it possible to hide without relevance.
John Boyer: Relevance of the form control instead of relevance of the data.
Steven Pemberton: If a control becomes non-relevant because the data is non-relevant, that's our relevance. But if it's because there's no context, that's different. That's our confusion.
John Boyer: That's not the only confusion.

Steven Pemberton: XPath 2.0?
Erik Bruchez: We can't agree what relevance means.
Steven Pemberton: We've confused ourselves.
Leigh Klotz: There's actually three...
John Boyer: Let's ignore the empty nodeset trick and discuss only relevant MIP. They're different. But even if we called that something else, you still have the problem that a piece of data is not relevant but then we claim you can style that as shown.
Steven Pemberton: The data doesn't go away. Binding to a non-existent thing means there is nothing to show. It is very different.
John Boyer: It feels more like non-relevance.
Steven Pemberton: We've exposed this; I don't think it's related. I agree with the use case of controlling existence of controls by data existence but I don't want that to call that relevance.
Charlie Wiecha: By analogy with repeat.
Erik Bruchez: In my example with 20 pages and one visible: is that relevance?
Steven Pemberton: No.
Erik Bruchez: You want all the data but control visibility.
Steven Pemberton: repeat rows that don't bind disappear. Group is the same concept.
Charlie Wiecha: They're statically in the DOM, but we emulate it.
John Boyer: We called bind with relevant model-based switching.
Leigh Klotz: We asked for model-based switching in our requirements document; we added on Roland Merrick's suggestion that non-existent nodes would be not-shown instead of an error, and then we added that group relevance inherited downward, and one day we decided that fulfilled model-based switching.
Steven Pemberton: We went wrong there.
Erik Bruchez: If we have two separate concepts. You can style them separately.
Leigh Klotz: A new MIP or a new control property?
Erik Bruchez: A new concept.

Charlie Wiecha: We now have informal rules for repeat templates; if we had the entire document as a template, we could do the creation there like for repeat items.
Erik Bruchez: xf:input is markup, not a control.
Charlie Wiecha: We never said that was separate. In Ubiquity, the object is the elaborated xf:input.
Leigh Klotz: And in PicoForms, there is a shadow DOM but I don't think there is a different turtle under xf:input.
Charlie Wiecha: This new MIP would affect that part of the lifecycle.
Erik Bruchez: It's like div with display:none which you can change with JavaScript. It's still there.
Steven Pemberton: It has to be there.
John Boyer: How we get from there to a second MIP?
Steven Pemberton: We haven't concluded it.
Erik Bruchez: What would it take to have a new notion "visible"?
Charlie Wiecha: Is it a MIP or a control property?
Erik Bruchez: Instead of .[]
Leigh Klotz: Just put @if on controls.
Erik Bruchez: I don't like it. Maybe @visible
Charlie Wiecha: Or is it data?
John Boyer: The property needs to be decided based on data. It is reasonable to use a bind.
Erik Bruchez: It's a boolean.
Leigh Klotz: If CSS worked we'd not be having this discussion. Mozilla puts run-time attributes representing type of bound node, for example, and you can style based on those.
Erik Bruchez: But we need a deeper concept so we can optimize it, at least in my implementation.
Steven Pemberton: Maybe we need to get switch right.
Erik Bruchez: It's heavy-handed. A single attribute is easier.
Leigh Klotz: So it's not switch but case we're after.
Steven Pemberton: input case="..." and group case="..."
Erik Bruchez: I'd call it visible.
Leigh Klotz: You want something deeper, you said.
Steven Pemberton: Also for A11Y.
Erik Bruchez: Then enabled. But HTML means something else. But it might conflict. disabled means grayed out in HTML4.
Leigh Klotz: @valuable?
Erik Bruchez: Out of focus, grayed out, not in tab order. It's a dead control.
Leigh Klotz: So this is no-space display at all?
Steven Pemberton: Like switch.
John Boyer: If you you change the disabled control value does it show the value?
Nick van: Yes.
Leigh Klotz: If you send events to one of these @case ones, what happens?
Steven Pemberton: It's like switch. It disables events.
John Boyer: We said that a non-selected switch case behaves the same as a non-relevant group. We consolidated all that disabledness/non-visibility under one concept but now we seem to want two.

Erik Bruchez: We could define it as visibility and make switch/case use that.
Steven Pemberton: That's what I said, generalize switch.
Erik Bruchez: If we did that, how can we go about saying this in XForms 1.2? Is it too big of a change?
Steven Pemberton: group referencing a non-existent set of nodes could perform the same way, but you can't style things that don't exist.
Leigh Klotz: It may be that people are less interested in styling things that don't exist than things that are MIP non-relevant.
John Boyer: In the case where I've used an xpath predicate on a UI binding, I'm interested in making the control disappear regardless of styling when it exists but is not relevant.
Erik Bruchez: It makes sense.
John Boyer: For the questionnaires blog post we see only one of a set, like a switch/case that's data based. The non-selected cases are simply not there.
Leigh Klotz: I've seen bugs in more than one XForms implementation where repeat nodeset changes and the input controls are type-based and the presentation fails to notice the type changes.

Erik Bruchez: Can we call it visible?
Steven Pemberton: No. I don't agree.
Leigh Klotz: presence
Erik Bruchez: existence
Erik Bruchez: It would be stuff bound to no node as opposed to relevance. It would be the creation and destruction of the control.
Leigh Klotz: That's why I like "presence" as in "the control is not present."
Erik Bruchez: Yeah, naming...
Erik Bruchez: We would need to have control be absent, not present when a control has a binding but points to a non-empty nodeset, it would have the disabled property.
Leigh Klotz: It would not have any properties as it would not be present.
Erik Bruchez: I would still like to have switch/case that receives events.
John Boyer: You want the multi-tabbed wizard experience.
Erik Bruchez: And accordion. A multi-case would be nice.
Nick van: switch and switch1
Leigh Klotz: So data-controlled switch, multi-case switch, tabbed view, or accordion but no change in control presence and no change in relevance.
Steven Pemberton: So can we say that with the group things are invalid?
Erik Bruchez: You can catch events.
Leigh Klotz: You could display it on the label of the tabbed view.
Erik Bruchez: ...

Nick van: We will need to change relevant to some other word. Many implementations don't show non-relevance. Now we're going to introduce a new concept and force you to use the new concept.
Erik Bruchez: It's a challenge to reconcile.
Erik Bruchez: So do we need to introduce a new concept, presence/absence, or possibly even visibility?

Steven Pemberton: So one concept is that everything is disabled and taken out.
Leigh Klotz: Absent.
Steven Pemberton: And the other is not available to the user.
Nick van: Absence is the default.
Erik Bruchez: The challenge can be met with versioning.
Nick van: But users can't use relevant anymore.
Erik Bruchez: You can hide non-relevant or show it.
Nick van: But the processor can't optimize it.
Leigh Klotz: So if you bind to an empty nodeset, the control would be absent.
Nick van: And not styleable or visible.

Leigh Klotz: Would you ever be able to bind something to be absent?
Erik Bruchez: I don't see why not. You can evaluate bindings and see if it is bound.
Leigh Klotz: So a MIP for absence?
Steven Pemberton: absence is about control, not about data.
Leigh Klotz: So we could have group/@present=xyz, a node.
Erik Bruchez: An expression.
Steven Pemberton: We absent, unavailable, and regular.
Erik Bruchez: What's non-visible and not absent.
Leigh Klotz: If it's not visible, it still gets events.
Steven Pemberton: It's not two booleans, it's one three-valued.
Erik Bruchez: boolean expressions are easier.
Steven Pemberton: There are three states, with one impossible combination if we use booleans.
Leigh Klotz: absent but visible would be the impossible state.
Erik Bruchez: There are few names left that would be friendly.
Leigh Klotz: But Steven won't want to call it visible.

Erik Bruchez: Does Dojo have the visibility control?
Nick van: CSS
John Boyer: What's wrong with enabled?
Nick van: disabled means greyed-out.
John Boyer: Use disabled/enabled to mean greyed out and use relevance to mean gone.

John Boyer: There's two ways to do this: leave relevant to that which you can style, or
Steven Pemberton: Then it wouldn't be a MIP.
John Boyer: Or the other thing. There's two ways to attack the problem that we have two things. One is to find a name we can't find and the other is to redefine the thing we have and use relevant to describe the new thing.
Leigh Klotz: So call presence relevance?
Steven Pemberton: But not as a MIP.
Erik Bruchez: We can have a MIP for consumption by the view. Or we can put a boolean on a view. It's not the same as specying that condition in the model. It's a little like P3P.
Erik Bruchez: It is type information.
John Boyer: Like constraint, required, or type.
Erik Bruchez: So MIPs are for properties to data for whoever.
John Boyer: A consolidation as a UI MIP would be fine.
Leigh Klotz: But not backward many-to-one. So maybe we can leave it as a UI expression and work with live documents for the consolidation?