Erik Bruchez, Orbeon
John Boyer, IBM
Nick van den Bleeken, Inventive Designers
Steven Pemberton, CWI/W3C
Leigh Klotz, Xerox (minutes)

* Agenda

http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/wiki/FtF_2010_03_24_Agenda#Agenda

* model/@src

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms/2010Mar/att-0024/index-diff.html

Charlie Wiecha: Here's the draft:
Charlie Wiecha: Many of the questions are about what @resource means, especially on import. There's a notion of a similar mechanism for a source for original content. I have questions about how it should work. Let's discuss the syntax first.
Charlie Wiecha: mode/@src, model/@resource, model/import. (Where do the serialized instances go.)
Leigh Klotz: Not being able to import the same instance URI twice seems like a design problem.
Charlie Wiecha: For the syntax, I assume that it points to an outermost model element. Then schema and function definitions can be on the model element of its own. The first example is a model with no inline content. See section 1.1.1.1, remote model content example.
Charlie Wiecha: Is that structurally consistent?
Leigh Klotz: We'll have to a separate schema for the remote model.
Erik Bruchez: It can be just a type.
Nick van: First it's a new root element.
John Boyer: Why is type and resource in it.
Erik Bruchez: A model with a single import is equivalent to the attribute.
Nick van: If it's the same as instance you can't have content in the model with src but you can with resource.
Charlie Wiecha: Do we need to discuss the schema?
Leigh Klotz: Let's just note that we will need a schema for this.
Charlie Wiecha: OK.
Charlie Wiecha: What we mean by child content is the question; is it just instance data or is it declarations as well?
John Boyer: I thought it would be the same as on instance.
Nick van: Then you don't merge; you ignore the content.
John Boyer: That's why import is seeminlgly more valuable.
Charlie Wiecha: The same question comes up; do you save the declarations as well?
John Boyer: For @resource you save everything.
Charlie Wiecha: In the import?
John Boyer: Yes.
Charlie Wiecha: So if there is any content those would be preferred.
Charlie Wiecha: What about cascading imports? Where do you serialize the content of the second?
John Boyer: Turtles all the way down. The processing model will make them all available.
Charlie Wiecha: Yes, all at the root level.
John Boyer: But syntactically, all are imported.
Nick van: I'm not following; save is something the application does?
Charlie Wiecha: It's by analogy with instance @src and @resource.
Nick van: Then why do we need the import to be left there? Is it not resolved and then the import is gone?
Charlie Wiecha: I came up with Erik's reminder that you haven't built a single infoset. You may carry them as separate infosets and merge them as one model. You may have a problem of saving a compound document. Or you may build a nested structure, modifying the original document. It's a bit bizarre either way you go.
John Boyer: I wouldn't mind if it were behave if merged but still inside the elements.
Charlie Wiecha: Parse as separate fragments?
John Boyer: We preserve the import elements so you preserve the original "somewhere else" but if you make markings in the infoset, you can ..
Nick van: Why do we need that?
John Boyer: I don't know yet. It might help resolve ID conflicts.
Nick van: It looks much simpler if you just have @src and @resource and have the extra functionality simply resolve import.
Erik Bruchez: What is this save stuff?
Charlie Wiecha: It's like saving a form with inline instance data.
Steven Pemberton: File save in the browser, for example.
Leigh Klotz: John has implemented save with @resource data inlined.
John Boyer: It's saved as a single document so it can be signed, with instances and all external resources available.
Nick van: I agree that that's a use case we should support but I don't see why the application can't serialize the merged model content in the document.
John Boyer: If you didn't retain the import element, then you'd have to put its content in place of where the import element is, and take any attributes of the root level model and escalate them to the corresponding attributes of the toplevel model element.
Charlie Wiecha: Some imports may have src attributes and need to be reloaded when the model is loaded. ... You have to maintain the import chain.
Nick van: For save, don't you want everything inline?
Charlie Wiecha: It's like a form today with @resource and @src.
John Boyer: Yes, for @src we continue to reload.
Charlie Wiecha: In general you have to keep the import chain.
John Boyer: Why does keeping the import chain make the processing harder?
Charlie Wiecha: I don't think it does. You mirror the chain. Some may have @src inside so you have to restore them.
John Boyer: Leave open for cleverness for finding where model rules came from.
Nick van: Why only @src now @resource on import?
John Boyer: So I can save it.
Charlie Wiecha: What about just doing it on instance?
John Boyer: You'd lose the instances.
Nick van: In XSLT, does import resolve conflicts? What if both define the same instance?
Charlie Wiecha: I came across that issue as well.
Nick van: In place overrides?
John Boyer: You may have to merge model attributes. But why?
Nick van: ...
John Boyer: Why is that harder to resolve from inline import content?
Nick van: You can put everything in the model.
John Boyer: Does it need to reload a second time?
Nick van: If defined inline it wins.
John Boyer: How do you know?
Nick van: Merge model attributes on top model when you load. Binds and instances go into model.
John Boyer: How do you know the bind is already there.
Nick van: If it has the same id.
John Boyer: What if it doesn't have an id?
Charlie Wiecha: These are the two paths I was going down: either the stuff merges into the root model and we figure out how to reload, or we preserve the import chain.
Nick van: You duplicate stuff in the second case.
Charlie Wiecha: It's not there in the runtime.
Nick van: Why do you need to keep it in the source?
John Boyer: It makes it easier to parse.
Nick van: An implementation can drop the imports if everything is inlined.
John Boyer: The alternative is that if you inline content, you delete the import statement at that point.
Nick van: You need to work it out so that the inline content wins but we have to work out the no id problem.
John Boyer: Sounds difficult.
Charlie Wiecha: That loses @src on import.
Erik Bruchez: I'm confused. What are you signing? You can serialize a non-import version and reload that.
John Boyer: That doesn't work if you snap in a standard XML signature engine; it doesn't know any custom canonicalizations.
Nick van: You can just update your XML.
Charlie Wiecha: How can you drop import/@src.
John Boyer: Nick's saying you just do it once.
Erik Bruchez: We have a way to offload a form from memory, static and dynamic information. The dynamic info is current instance values. We save and restore that, not as XML, but we could. Schemas and external instances are stored as part of the static information.
Charlie Wiecha: That's the aha. Maybe we only need the @src on instance and everything else is all promoted to the root document as static content. instance could have @resource or @source. The resource function is only on the instance element.
Leigh Klotz: @src on instance in the face of save/restore sounds dangerous; it would discard changes and can't be signed.
Charlie Wiecha: You make it sound bad.
John Boyer: We seldom use instance/@src.
Nick van: You need to use it offline.
Charlie Wiecha: It sounds big.
John Boyer: It's DOM in the runtime anyway. It doesn't matter where you got it from.
Charlie Wiecha: Let's get back to import replacement.
John Boyer: I like resource for application signing. When I want a signature that lets you sign a tax form. If I say not to sign the resource attribute instances, I've signed the application. That lets you change the content of the instance element, but not anything else (binds, etc). I know the instance with resource changes at runtime. It's harder for me to express that if you delete the import and add stuff in its place so I can't find it after it's been done to characterize omitting it. That's why putting it as import element siblings is hard as well. Inside the import works.
Leigh Klotz: It doesn't sound like that much of a problem to me.
Erik Bruchez: Can we summarize what you would like?
John Boyer: @src and @resource would act like they do on instance. import/@src would fetch binds or submissions or whatever, and make them available to the containing model. With a @resource, it would make them available to the containing model, but also store them in the import element.
Leigh Klotz: Do you want @src? Just to put a fine point on your use case.
John Boyer: I don't need it for my use case.
Erik Bruchez: And by storing it the element in the import?
John Boyer: Those binds or submisssions would be placed in the element.
Erik Bruchez: You mean in the DOM?
John Boyer: Right.
Leigh Klotz: This is a formal definition, so that we say import with children is the same as a resolved @resource import. So John can use that formal definition.
Leigh Klotz: I see no value for import/@src. I separately see no value for instance/@src wither and would prefer it replaced with the better-defined instance/@submission.
Erik Bruchez: I don't like import/@resource modifying the DOM. I think import should merge as in RelaxNG.
Charlie Wiecha: It's like instance/@resource.
John Boyer: What if I called it submodel?
Erik Bruchez: If it's called import we have to worry about that, but even if it's called foobar, I have yet to see an element causing a modification to its own source.
John Boyer: instance does that.
Erik Bruchez: Instance creates a shadow tree.
John Boyer: It's like content merging in XBL.
Nick van: It's a shadow DOM.
Charlie Wiecha: The inline content is used.
John Boyer: We aren't saying you have to merge; just saying that the resource attribute would be the same if you did it. You don't merge unless you have save/restore.
Erik Bruchez: Leigh was saying that it was a formal model.
Leigh Klotz: Yes, this is just Beta reduction from lambda calculus. We might consider Alpha rename if we want to resolve bind id conflicts, or skip it knowingly if we decide not to. If there's no reflection access then you can't tell if it's actually included, but if you save and restore it would behave the same way.
Erik Bruchez: I think it's adding complexity to say you can restore it. We always load stuff on the side.
John Boyer: The key rule that we need in XForms is that @resource will not be resolved if there is inline content for the element. Then if you don't want to do save/restore then you don't to do it.
Leigh Klotz: We do have to keep this use case in mind because you can't sign things using Nick's proposal for replacement.
John Boyer: We don't need to say that it gets put in at the DOM level.
Erik Bruchez: I have two problems. I want inline vs. resource to work the other way. I want default inline instance. So without knowing about signatures, I find it counter intuitive. So when we just need to bring it to model I start to cringe.
John Boyer: You want to use @src for a backup for when resource fails?
Erik Bruchez: Inline content as a backup for @resource failure.
John Boyer: That's what we get from the @src.
Erik Bruchez: I thought we dispatched an error.
John Boyer: We could do that; instead of xforms-link-exception we could use inline content.
Erik Bruchez: Right now we can't.
Charlie Wiecha: That's a good idea.
Leigh Klotz: Or if you do my instance/@submission idea the instance starts out with initial content which is then replaced when the submission replaces it.
Erik Bruchez: We can workaround foobar instead of import but it's still confusing.
John Boyer: It's a different use case: a runtime document that can be digitally signed at multiple times.
Erik Bruchez: XSLT, Schema and Relax all have import. They all have rules for conflict; first one ones, higher priority, errors, overrides.
John Boyer: None of these involve runtime user interaction or a complex document lifecycle. Nothing happens inside them. There's no save/reload.
Erik Bruchez: That's fine but it doesn't change anything. I can imagine importing a model.
Nick van: For me, the important question is whether the form author gets what he wants. Does the form author want inline content to win? I think he wants to merge. Maybe the application can fulfill this in another way. Like Erik said, it's clearer with XSLT.
Charlie Wiecha: There's another option, a compound document in a containing structure with merged content. We'd have to define the archive format.
Erik Bruchez: John, how do you do this with external resources? CSS files or images? How do you sign them? How's that different?
John Boyer: Typically, the resources necessary to completely characterize the whole user experience are gathered in one document. For compound formats (ODF Package) the supporting images are in there with relative URL references.
Erik Bruchez: So the same could apply to the imported model. You sign it together.
John Boyer: Except that we're years away from that. Right now we, and ODF, have one XML document.
Charlie Wiecha: It's a big jump.
Erik Bruchez: We have an internal representation and could do our own serialization to XForms or a modified version. Instead of import, you could do it yourself. You apply and flatten your input into a single flat model.
Charlie Wiecha: We have a lightweight process like that for instance; if we had something simple for import that would be good.
Erik Bruchez: I feel this is a very specific use case. The way to implement it is different. We seem to have a solution, archive format, that seems a nice solution, if not a beautiful one. I would have to make xforms more complex and counterintuitive because IBM is a few years away.

Leigh Klotz: The XML applications Erik mentioned have both import and include, synonyms with slightly different behavior. So it's not fair to say that the names are well defined and easily understood; the different use cases there have slightly different uses. So we might be able to fix this by naming.

Charlie Wiecha: ...
Erik Bruchez: It's a feature of the browser that you can save right now, but not a feature of HTML.
John Boyer: I have an XML format and several cases: applications, signature, save/restore. I don't have a requirement that you must save it. I just need that you need the inline content used in preference to resource. I don't see the complexity in that rule.
Erik Bruchez: It's not implementation complexity; it's a few lines of code. It's the notion that inline content overrides remote.
Charlie Wiecha: That's more the issue than modifying the infoset.
Erik Bruchez: It's both.
Nick van: I don't know if we need inline content, but for authors, if we need it I think it's more likely to be merged than replacing it. If you the form author wants it inline, put it inline. It's a not a feature for the form author.
Charlie Wiecha: There's modified src, resource, and merging, for three use cases.
John Boyer: Merging sounds useful but harder to define. The resource case says inline wins. The src case says remote wins. Those are the two corner cases of merge.
Nick van: What if we have inline?
John Boyer: In design tools we give the template but then once the document is running we want the template data included.
Nick van: Why keep instance/@resource?
John Boyer: I can digitally sign the application by signing all applications except instances.
Charlie Wiecha: It's a flag. You don't remove the resource attribute.
Nick van: In XML Signature you could say that if there is child content then you don't have to take it into account.
John Boyer: No. If you use @src the data would be thrown out.
Charlie Wiecha: Next time you load the form.
John Boyer: Why make a more complicated subtraction filter to remove an ignored attribute?
Erik Bruchez: Why would a form author ever write inline content and a resource attribute and want inline content to win?
Charlie Wiecha: It says if you have inline content under instance it wins.
Erik Bruchez: They are separate DOMs though. It doesn't say it is modified.
John Boyer: It enables some use cases.
Erik Bruchez: I understand that and I think it is a hack, frankly. It is an incomplete serialization format; it doesn't save repeat and switch state.
Leigh Klotz: We discussed moving those to instance yesterday.
Erik Bruchez: If you want a proper state-serialization for XForms you have to have...the author might not use it.
John Boyer: It would be potentially insecure if they didn't use it.
Erik Bruchez: You are looking for a complete serialization mechanism but you don't have it.
John Boyer: The world isn't perfect. There are rough edges. We don't have an unassailable document format.
Erik Bruchez: Now we're adding more features working "slightly" against the form author.
John Boyer: Does the form author ever do this? Form authors use empty instance elements. The runtime does it for them. At design time you specify the template for data or the initial stuff. @src means runtime, @resource means initial load time.
Charlie Wiecha: We don't have a single schema for two but we should have two schemas.
John Boyer: There's the design-time schema and the runtime. You can use multiple schemas at different times.
Erik Bruchez: This is an IBM-specific schema that is for a specific save format.
John Boyer: If you want @src to default to inline content then you need inline content anyway.
Leigh Klotz: It's not a serialization format. I see instance/@src and instance/@submission as data that gets reloaded at runtime, for example during browser page reload and @resource means not to reload ever (cf. HTML4 page reload with forms).
Nick van: The merge use case is important.
Leigh Klotz: There's import and include.
Nick van: Import does more; include just replaces.
John Boyer: Merge is useful; it's a separate feature. I agree with Leigh that there is a behavior we're asking for for @resource, which is to resolve on first run. It also enables the "hack" for inline content. I've used it in three or four ways; the merging feature is different.
Erik Bruchez: I have a problem with the notion of multiple runs; it's not part of XForms at this time. It seems a way that some implementations deal with forms.
Erik Bruchez: So I'm worried we aren't considering full support for the feature.
John Boyer: It can already be exploited in two or three ways. An application can decide at any time to pre-populate the document with information. Or you could have a save button that turns off pruning and they just do save. They don't want initial template data.
Erik Bruchez: We do it differently, with a REST API that has a function which loads a templae. When the data is saved, it has an ID. We have an edit/continue which loads the data through the API.
John Boyer: That's great for your system; I have a document format I want to save to disk.
Erik Bruchez: You have a URL for get/put/delete. When I load my form in "new" mode, I call submission for PUT.
Leigh Klotz: As in xinclude could we have a fallback element, an "inline" element for John, and a "resource" element for they overriding URI.
Nick van: In Orbeon we use request parameters and @if to do extra submissions to get the data.
John Boyer: If you assume a REST service and a server you can do it. If you assume a document format (and we have two document format consumers) there is a different way to get these features.
Nick van: It could be a relative URI that gets the resource out of the document format.
John Boyer: If you have an archive format.
Erik Bruchez: The schema attribute already supports ids. That could be a solution. Then we don't have an archive format but we have everything inline.
John Boyer: I then have to re-write the resource attribute.
Charlie Wiecha: I don't understand the downside but it sounds like a good lightweight solution.
Steven Pemberton: John has to leave now.