Re: @context everywhere; applies to ref and value separately, or applies before ref, then ref applies to value?

I think that context() with id is useful and a good shortcut.

Note that variables also solve (among other things) this issue, although in
a slightly more verbose way, e.g.:

<xf:repeat id="status-repeat"
nodeset="instance('statuses')/statuses/status">
  <xf:variable name="status-repeat" value="."/>
    <xf:repeat id="set-status-repeat"
nodeset="instance('statuses')/statuses/status[$status-repeat/status != .]">

-Erik