Re: Implementors please read: poll about select1 and empty values

(Just found I didn't hit send on this several hours ago).

Yes, absolutely.

In fact, I ran a slightly larger version of the test, which is a proper
superset of the one you have below.

I used three items and put the empty one in the middle so I could be sure
that the item selected on empty string was being selected for that reason
and not due to some first/last default selection mechanism.

I also bound both a dropdown and a radio button group to the data node so
that I could see how different UI presentations of select1 behaved.  In
particular, our dropdowns don't tend to select stuff in the drop down
menu, but a radio group obviously does, so there's no doubt about what our
processor is doing.

Finally, I also added a required="true()" MIP on the "data" node so that I
could observe the behavior of the controls when the item with empty value
was selected and deselected.

When my test form comes up, the data value is initially empty, and both
the dropdown and radio group have the "required but empty countenance.
If I select the first item of the dropdown menu, the non-empty value is
transmitted to data, and the radio group changes to the first selection.
Both controls lose the "required but empty" countenance.
If I then select the second item in the dropdown menu, the empty value is
transmitted to data, and the radio group changes to the second item.  Both
controls regain the "required but empty" countenance.
The consistent behaviors continue to happen upon selection of the third
item with a non-empty value and also when I do this whole sequence from
the radio group and observe what the dropdown shows and does.
That being said, I did also insert an xforms output control bound to the
data node so I could directly see what it was being set to as well.

Cheers,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
Distinguished Engineer, IBM Forms and Smarter Web Applications
IBM Canada Software Lab, Victoria
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Blog RSS feed: