Re: [XForms 2] New feature - external models

Yes, it's a nice alternative solution to the one suggested by Steven.

If we take a step back from the solution for a moment and ask ourselves
what is the underlying requirement, I think that would help.

The model/@src solution by itself allows multiple pages to share *a*
model.
An XInclude solution would allow multiple pages to share *parts* of a
model appropriate to that page.

So, in keeping with our telecon discussion today about how far we really
are into the space of "applications on the web", the question to be
answered here is what will actually provide benefit to application
authors?

Sharing just a model across web pages appears to be too coarse grain when
you think about what a model does.  If a model has all the constraints
needed to complete a piece of XML, and you share that across web pages
that are intended to work in concert toward that completion, then how do
you get from one web page to another?  We either have to turn off
submission validation or ... we need to share parts of a model appropriate
to completing each of the web pages in the overall application.

Something like XInclude or XLink, or even model/@src combined with
"submodels" would work, but let's first see if we agree with the details
of the requirement, i.e. what exactly is going to get better by the
addition of the feature.

Cheers,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM, Interactive Documents and Web 2.0 Applications
Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Blog RSS feed: