Behavior on root nodes and namespaces nodes changed for insert/delete, not setvalue

From: John Boyer <boyerj@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 23:36:20 -0700
To: public-forms@w3.org
Based on feedback that insert and delete were not specific enough about
root nodes and namespace nodes, I received the action item to update
insert, delete and setvalue.

Insert and delete were updated to say that they no-op on these nodes
(delete won't delete them, insert won't insert them).

However, setvalue already had text describing what to do for these cases,
so it seemed best not to amend the text.  It is easy to change, but it
seemed best to double-check group consensus before proceeding there.

The current text says we produce an xforms-binding-exception if you bind
to a root node. So, setvalue cannot modify a root node's content, nor by
extension can a form control.

The current text says setvalue behavior is undefined for namespace nodes,
PIs and comment nodes.  You don't definitively get an
xforms-binding-exception, but you can't count on it working either.

Seemed best to leave it this way, but we could consider making the
namespace node case a binding exception, or we could move the root node
and namespace node cases to no-ops.

Either way, the implementation-defined status of PIs and comments was a
little surprising to find.

John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM, Interactive Documents and Web 2.0 Applications

Blog RSS feed: