* Agenda

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms/2009Jun/0011.html

* Previous minutes

* XForms 1.1 Completion

** Non-XHTML in test suite

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms/2009Apr/0011.html

* Non-XHTML in test suite

John Boyer: Uli?
Uli Lissé: I am working on it and will finish tonight.

* Tweaks to Ch. 4 tests

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms/2009Jun/0007.html

** CSS relative links

John Boyer: One test contains an absolute link to the CSS but everything else is relative, so when you use your own copy of the test suite it uses it. It's not a normative change.

** Non-normative changes

John Boyer: Does anyone object to our making occasional changes that aren't normative?
Leigh Klotz: Maybe just a public note saying you've done it.
Steven Pemberton: Yes, if they aren't normative.
John Boyer: Perhaps things like the UTF-8 encoding.
Leigh Klotz: Checkin comments?
Nick van: I generate the changes automatically from the checkin comments, so please use descriptive comments.
John Boyer: I'll make the relative/absolute CSS resource change.

** 4.2.4.a deleted nodes

John Boyer: The next is a conformance issue. There are two problems. The first is in delete nodeset="/Dates/date" at="1". <Dates> <date>2006-12-25</date> <date>2006-01-01</date> <Dates>
John Boyer: Then <setvalue ev:event="xforms-delete" ref="whatgotdeleted" value="event(deleted-nodes)/date"/>
John Boyer: The node deleted is deleted-nodes()/date but we get back the nodes themselves, so they don't have children named date because they are date nodes.
John Boyer: It should be value="event(deleted-nodes)"
John Boyer: The second problem is that it gives the wrong value; the delete action deletes the first node, but the label gives the second node.
John Boyer: <output ref="whatgotdeleted"><label>You should see 2006-01-01: </label>
John Boyer: Should be <label> ... 2006-12-25
John Boyer: So it was probably a 1-based vs. 0-based index.
Leigh Klotz: I agree.
John Boyer: Any objections? No.

Resolution 2009-06-3.1: We accept John Boyer's proposed changes to XForms 1.1 test 4.4.2.a deleted nodes.

** Test 4.5.1.a4

John Boyer: The fix is to move binding exception message into the content of the submission.
Charlie Wiecha: Sounds like a good one.

Resolution 2009-06-3.2: We accept John Boyer's proposed changes to XForms 1.1 test 4.5.1.a4 binding exception.

** Test 4.4.21.a

John Boyer: This test should be deleted as there is no corresponding section.

Resolution 2009-06-3.3: Delete test 4.4.21.a - should be deleted because it was moved to 4.5.5.

* Upload satisfactory for 1.1

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms/2009Jun/0004.html

John Boyer: I proposed not doing this; Erik responded saying he was OK with it for XForms 1.1. There was a joint action for Erik and Leigh to look at it.
Leigh Klotz: Erik was the one who noticed the issue; if Erik agrees he can implement it as we all agreed without changing the text, then I'm happy.

* The delete action and the xforms-delete event

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms/2009Jun/0010.html

John Boyer: Ubiquity was assuming the context node for the delete was the node that was being deleted from; however, delete-nodeset could identify multiple instances, so it's not clear which instance to dispatch the notification event to. We changed insert and delete from a single node to multiple nodes. insert is limited to a single instance, but delete can delete nodes from multiple instances, at least the way it is structured now.
John Boyer: We have a few choices: (1) dispatch to all affected instances (2) delete only from one instance. There are technicalities related to those decisions.
Charlie Wiecha: What's an example of an expression that would span instances?
John Boyer: The union operator with instances is the only one I could think of.

John Boyer: delete nodeset="instance(x)/x | instance(y)/y>
John Boyer: If you don't provide the at attribute then you delete all nodes. If you delete from multiple instances, surely you should get the event on all; Erik pointed this out and I agree. Right now, the last thing to do is dispatching the event. A delete that can delete from multiple instances must send multiple delete events. After sending the first, the xforms-delete processing code has more work to do. But the author can do some things during this event. You could get into some confusing situations.
Nick van: There are other ways to get this problem ...
John Boyer: I was concerned we might not fully appreciate some of the difficulties with multiple events. The prior thought on this was around "end of processing" dispatching the single notification event.
Leigh Klotz: In that case I'd prefer, at this point in the life of this recommendation, is to say the behavior is undefined. It falls under the "Doc, it hurts when I do this" category.
John Boyer: I'd agree.
Leigh Klotz: There's no use case for it, and it's trivially convertible from a union of instances()'s to multiple deletes, so we don't lose any functionality.
John Boyer: I agree. Is it ok if I create the edit now and we approve it tomorrow?
Steven Pemberton: Sounds good to me.

* Advancement to PR

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms/2009Jun/0001.html

John Boyer: As far as I know, that was the last issue. Are there any other issues people would like to raise about the changes since CR?
Uli Lissé: I don't think so.
John Boyer: I'll prepare the document for resolution tomorrow. Can everyone be available?
Uli Lissé: I'm not available tomorrow.
John Boyer: Are you happy with how this last issue is being resolved?
Uli Lissé: Yes.

* The Forms Newsletter/News items

John Boyer: Could we get a news item created about the Ubiquity XForms reports?
Steven Pemberton: What's the text?
John Boyer: Fairly similar to the other report announcements for IE7 and Firefox.
Charlie Wiecha: I can do that.
Steven Pemberton: I can do it straightaway. http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/#news

* XForms 1.2 Features

John Boyer: We're interested in new web applications, and in better integration of XForms into ODF so office documents can appear on the web. Charlie has been working using XForms as a hub to stitch together other markup languages.
Charlie Wiecha: I'm thinking of doing some of the ODF idea implementations as well. Is there a question?
John Boyer: For rechartering, what form might it take? Combine with other groups, or have Forms group separate. There's enough work for a forms group separately. The XHMTL2 group doesn't have a lot of members, but they do a lot of work and produce a lot of specs. The RDFa work is going well, for example.
Steven Pemberton: If no one else, wants to speak...
John Boyer: Go ahead.
Steven Pemberton: Speaking as the CWI rep, we are interested in taking this further. My hope is that, based on our experiences with XForms (XForms 1.1 was just "rounding off the corners") what I hope is that in the next period that we start again in a way and take our experience and note that we've done very many more things with XForms than we anticipated because our design was sufficiently general, and that has made life easier for web applications. I'd like to make the process of making forms much easier, avoiding complications, and generalize the features more and make it more declarative (events and actions should be specialized).
John Boyer: Yup. Let's look much more closely at the big-picture architecture and less at the dot-release.
Steven Pemberton: And Charlie, the backplane?
Charlie Wiecha: I want to know what you are saying. Master-detail repeat without event event wiring, for example?
Steven Pemberton: Yes. When we first built XForms we built on XHTML forms and built a general processor which turned it into a surprisingly good engine. However, in use, patterns have emerged and we can do things even more generally.
Nick van: [irc] components for us
Charlie Wiecha: I wonder if there is an XBL angle and components, as Nick says. Maybe we need to embed these extensible patterns into XForms via an XBL mechanism.
Steven Pemberton: I think that's good. "Anything you can do, I can do meta." But I still think you do the world a favor by saying what the patterns are.
Charlie Wiecha: That takes us deeper into the forms space; one is hard-pressed to say what's a form and what's an application. Would your direction do both?
Steven Pemberton: Do we want to move ahead with the form meme, or say forms are a special case of declarative something? We aren't doing applications, as that's done elsewhere. I'd like to take a look at the Backplane IG results and spell out what we want to achieve.
John Boyer: Erik is another advocate for the XRX meme, which I think is the total solution. For LotusForms, our discussions are about business process automation. Our customers have a BPA problem, then they need to collect data.
Charlie Wiecha: Erik made an interesting announcement with XBL this week. He's pushing the envelope. I just put it on the table that it's my interest, and I think it's an evolution of the marketplace.
John Boyer: What's the interest level in participating in a new web-backplane group?
Steven Pemberton: CWI will join.
Nick van: ...
Uli Lissé: I like the Backplane idea. How will that fit with XHTML2, Steven?
Steven Pemberton: It could be that they come back again.
Uli Lissé: I would like to take the more architectural viewpoint and get a modular framework for web applications.
Steven Pemberton: I agree that modularity is a very important issue. Google Wave is based on XMPP, which is based on XHTML modularization. There really is a value for having modularized specifications.
Leigh Klotz: So I'm hearing Charlie and Uli want to work on frameworks and Steven wants to work on declarative applications on the framework.
Steven Pemberton: Modularization is necessary but not sufficient.
Leigh Klotz: I think there could be two activities: one doing architecture and modularization and components, informed by use cases, and the second closer to web application developers and authors, and developing those declarative patterns and use cases. I'd see that as an ideal split, but having both depend on each other and chartered together.
Charlie Wiecha: I think components is the key piece to work on for delivering runtime modularity for forms and for reaching out to other groups.
John Boyer: Another facet is the recognition that components and backplane are about stitching together the client-side experience. There is also a two-tier (at least) application that forms play within. What if I want a number of web pages to be working together, with a large model, and step a user through it using more than one web page. What feature gaps do we have?
Charlie Wiecha: ...
John Boyer: ...
John Boyer: We can discuss this more tomorrow.

* F2F Agenda

John Boyer: We need to decide about the technical topics and group direction. Which do we want to do tomorrow?
Steven Pemberton: I want at least an hour of fun stuff...future directions of the technology.
John Boyer: Picking a few from the Future Features bucket?
Steven Pemberton: I haven't gotten that far.

John Boyer: We can have some technical discussions as well and that will fuel the directions.

John Boyer: Tomorrow, we start at 7AM my time.
Steven Pemberton: Two hours earlier than this.
John Boyer: And we talked about 2 hours, a break.
Leigh Klotz: I'll be out at 8:45 my time for a bit.
John Boyer: We'll use Yugma. Then we can talk for an hour on future directions, then future features Wiki, then break, then deeper dive on high-priority issues. And XForms 1.1 PR.

* IRC Log

http://www.w3.org/2009/06/03-forms-minutes.html

* Meeting Ends