Re: Deprecating DOMFocusIn/DOMFocusOut (was: DOMActivate vs. Click)

On Jul 22, 2009, at 5:55 PM, Jon Gunderson wrote:

> These event handlers are commonly used to create styling effects for
> node or more importantly related nodes that cannot be styled using
> CSS selectors.
>
> If an element receives keyboard focus what event can be used to
> update visual styling?

The "focus" and "blur" events can be used for this. "DOMFocusIn" and
"DOMFocusOut" largely duplicate their functionality. Although for
purely visual styling, I would recommend CSS :hover effects over script.

> If we don't need focusin and focusout, then I assume mouseover and
> mouseout will also be deprecated.
>
> Focus styling is not very well implemented in browsers or by web
> developers.

No one is proposing taking away focus events. The question is just
whether we need to have two separate sets of them.

  - Maciej