Keith Wells, IBM
Steven Pemberton, IBM
Uli Lissé, DreamLabs

* Agenda

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms/2009Jan/0001.html

* Previous minutes

* Administration

John Boyer: Who can chair in two weeks?
Steven Pemberton: I can chair January 21st.

* Next FtF

John Boyer: We're meeting at Google. The Wednesday telecon is Feb 4. The virtual day is Feb 5. Travel is Feb 6 or 7. The meeting is Feb 9, 10, 11.
Charlie Wiecha: I'm not going to get approval.
Steven Pemberton: I anticipate being ok, as it's the one meetign I'm travelling to.
John Boyer: I haven't asked yet.
Nick van: I booked my flights already, so I'll be there.
Steven Pemberton: Did anybody know that Raman got married.

* Action Item List:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms/2008Dec/0017.html

* Problem with xf:copy and xf:delete

John Boyer: Have you done the public list response needed?
Leigh Klotz: I should start it.
John Boyer: Maybe you could correspond with Eric to double-team it as he did some work on this topic in the past when we last visite the technical details.

* Review/publish EMC implementation report

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-forms/2008Dec/0020.html

John Boyer: I need to look at this and make it available alongisde the Firefox one. They said it's better than 90% conformance.
Steven Pemberton: And it's great that it comes from EMC.

Action 2009-01-7.1: John Boyer to review/publish EMC implementation report http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-forms/2008Dec/0020.html

Steven Pemberton: Can we invite them to join the working group?
John Boyer: Sure.
Steven Pemberton: Who did they send it to?
John Boyer: www list.
Steven Pemberton: I'll invite them if you don't mind.

Action 2009-01-7.2: Steven Pemberton to invite EMC to join Forms WG.

* FormsPlayer Implementation Report

Paul Butcher: We're not planning to do a report for formsplayer, at least for the next couple of months, because we're working on Ubiquity.
John Boyer: It's a very highly conformant implementation so it would be nice to have its coverage. Maybe we can do a triage and find out which tests we don't have covered and get a constrained report.

Keith Wells: I can do that.

Action 2009-01-7.3: Keith Wells to examine Firefox XPI, and EMC implementation reports and find out which test cases are not covered by both tests.

John Boyer: It was surprising that the power() function wasn't there in Firefox.
Keith Wells: I'll take a look at it.

Action 2009-01-7.4: Keith Wells to confirm power() function in Firefox and request its implementation if necessary.

John Boyer: That and the question mark at the end of serialization=none URIs. There's a pending action item on me to fix the spec to say that when serialization=none you don't get the question mark. There is someone who cares (using it for ATOM work).

John Boyer: Any other implementation report issues or test issues?

John Boyer: Wasn't there an issue with empty binds.
Paul Butcher: The test was that the events weren't coming from the correct elements.
John Boyer: The issue was <bind ... /> vs. <bind> ... </bind>?
Paul Butcher: Yes.
John Boyer: We don't have tests that look at some of the challenges that look at XML content in an HTML parser; this is one of the issues that we hit.
Leigh Klotz: There was a similar problem with XHTML 1.0 and the space in <br >
Steven Pemberton: We said if you think this is going to be served in HTML browsers you should put the space in before the slash; modern HTML browsers don't require the space any more.
Leigh Klotz: So John's asking about how legislate around a similar issue involving short-form close of bind.
John Boyer: Is it OK to change the text of a test to pass in this case?
Steven Pemberton: It's the same in XML and you could argue that it's required for certain browsers, so I think it's pragmatic and nobody would argue.
John Boyer: It works in IE. The binds aren't being interpreted correctly but the UI controls receive the events. It's the HTML parser that's removing parts of the form, before Ubiquity gets it. We're still trying to make sure we have more accounting for how XForms gets used on the web, and if we an implementation that says, subject to certain limitations, you can use XForms in your HTML browser, it might be reasonable implementation.
Leigh Klotz: But didn't the issue go away with br?
Steven Pemberton: In HTML browsers, the slash just goes away. It doesn't know about the slash close. So it interprets it as an unclosed element and waits for the close. All they did was allow the absence of the space.

John Boyer: So we'll consider these XML issues separately from conformance.

* Review of Bind Module

http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/specs/XForms1.2/modules/model/bind/index-all.html

Nick van: I added a MIP element with name and value and cascade.
John Boyer: You need the inherit and cascade for more flexibility to casecade with non-boolean ancestors.
Leigh Klotz: I did an analysis of a bunch of them a while back. Or, And, first-wins, last-wins, all must match, etc.
Uli Lissé: [irc] wouldn't it be easier to just have a cascade attribute, which specifies an and or an or combinator?
John Boyer: And how can you ask the MIP value of a data node?
Nick van: I was planning to do that.
John Boyer: That opens a huge can of worms, if it can ask the value of a constraint or readonly. The only think we can create dependencies on node values, so then we'd create dependencies on node properties.
Charlie Wiecha: [irc] i don't recall whether we decided to bite off custom mips for this iteration of the bind module?
John Boyer: It may not be so bad if we leave off the ... like id() returns a variable nodeset. We could say the MIP function is like that.
Leigh Klotz: Aren't they the same as calculates with values on a separate instance? So they are not circular references but instead calculates.
John Boyer: Yes. But right now if the function returns a nodeset, if it references are a nodeset then those are dependencies. So there's one generic location outside XPath functions where we make tests about what's being referenced. The MIP function would return a number, a boolean, or a string, but unless the internal implementation of that function is able to access some API to say "I am setting up new dependencies."
Leigh Klotz: What new dependency?
John Boyer: It would say it's referring to this property of this node.
Leigh Klotz: What if the mip element was moved out to be defined statically, and then the mip-value function took a node and the mip name? That's a lot like calculate and the compute system should handle it.
John Boyer: The containing expression is now dependent on the MIP named X on node Y. No other function has had to be able to declare out to the calculation engine that it's dependent on the MIP value, not the node value.
Leigh Klotz: OK. But as Charlie said, is this for combining old MIP types or is it for adding custom MIP types.
Nick van: It's for our MIPs and cascading them, just for our own MIPs, but it also allows creating custom MIPs.
Leigh Klotz: So solve both problems with one mechanism.
Nick van: Maybe we don't need cascade and combine and maybe not even type. But the same API would need those.
Leigh Klotz: If we move the custom definition out into a separate element and refer to it, and drop the unnecessary attributes now, then we have what's in 1.1.
Charlie Wiecha: [irc] i would prefer to keep this module at the level of current, 1.1, function. do we need to talk about cascade at all then? separating def and use would be great.
Nick van: So it would be a child attribute on bind. So there should be an element named mip and attribute calculate.
Leigh Klotz: It's hard to schema validate if you introduce attribute names by definitions inside the document.
Nick van: In the bind I'd like to use readonly as an attribute on bind, for example. Can't we allow every attribute on bind?
John Boyer: There are two issues: for schema validation we can't have declarations within the form dynamically adding new valid attributes.

* Scribe Change

Charlie Wiecha: [scribe via IRC]

* IRC Minutes

Remaining minutes in http://www.w3.org/2009/01/07-forms-minutes.html

* Meeting Ends