Fwd: Issue with @charset vs. @encoding in XML Scripting Module

Also FYI

Steven

------- Forwarded message -------
From: "Shane McCarron" <shane@aptest.com>
To: "XHTML WG" <public-xhtml2@w3.org>
Subject: Issue with @charset vs. @encoding in XML Scripting Module
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 20:54:16 +0100

XML Events 2 defines the XML Scripting Module [1] - this module defines
the script element and its required attributes.  While working with this
module and its Schema and RelaxNG implementations, Markus and I ran into
a quandary that I do not know how to address.

XML Events 2 has two different audiences.  There is the "today" audience
that might need the XML Scripting Module, and the "tomorrow" audience
that will use all the modules in languages like XHTML 2 and XForms 1.2.

Right now, the script element uses the @charset attribute as defined in
XHTML Modularization 1.1 [2].  And that's fine.  It makes sense in a
pre-XHTML 2 world.  However, if we are going to include XML Scripting in
XHTML 2, we really don't want @charset.  @charset has been superseded by
@encoding.

Anyway - in implementing the script element for XHTML 2 I decided that
we really meant @encoding.  This is in conflict with the draft XML
Events 2 spec though.

Question: Do we change XML Events 2 to use @encoding as defined in XHTML
2, change XHTML 2 to use @charset for this one element, or develop a new
version of the XML Scripting module in XHTML 2 that overrides the one in
XML Events 2?

[1] http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/2008/ED-xml-events-20081223/#s_script_module
[2]
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/2009/ED-xhtml2-20090109/mod-scripting.html#s_scriptingmodule