Re: XMLHttpRequest Comments from W3C Forms WG

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 09:21:48 -0800
To: "Klotz, Leigh" <Leigh.Klotz@xerox.com>
Cc: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, Forms WG <public-forms@w3.org>
On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 9:10 AM, Klotz, Leigh <Leigh.Klotz@xerox.com> wrote:
> If XHR is wholly dependent on HTML5 then it should either be moved into the HTML5 recommendation-track document, or renamed "XHR for HTML5."   Ian has made a point that modularizing HTML5 itself is a large task; it's not clear that the same applies to this XHR document, at least to the same degree of work required.  I don't see what harm comes from waiting to advance this XHR document until the necessary work has been done.

XHR isn't wholly dependent on HTML5. It is however dependent on a few
things that are currently only defined by the HTML5 specification.

This means that if someone wants to implement XHR they will have to
read parts of the HTML5 specification, and implement a few things
defined in that specification. It does *not* however mean that if
someone wants to implement XHR they will have to implement all, or
even a significant portion, of the HTML5 specification.

I hope that makes it clear?

Yes, we could move XHR into the HTML5 specification, but I don't
understand what problems that would solve. Feel free to elaborate.

/ Jonas