Re: XMLHttpRequest Comments from W3C Forms WG

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 10:11:51 +0200
Cc: "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com>, "WebApps WG" <public-webapps@w3.org>, "Forms WG" <public-forms@w3.org>
To: "Klotz, Leigh" <Leigh.Klotz@XEROX.COM>
On Dec 16, 2009, at 21:47, Klotz, Leigh wrote:

> I'd like to suggest that the main issue is dependency of the XHR document on concepts where "HTML5 is the only specification that defines several core concepts of the Web platform architecture, such as event loops, event handler attributes,  Etc".

A user agent that doesn't implement the core concepts isn't much use for browsing the Web. Since the point of the XHR spec is getting interop among Web browsers, it isn't a good allocation of resources to make XHR not depend on things that a user agent that is suitable for browsing the Web needs to support anyway.

XHR interop doesn't matter much if XHR is transplanted into an environment where the other pieces fail to be interoperable with Web browsing software. That is, in such a case, it isn't much use if XHR itself works like XHR in browsers--the system as a whole still doesn't interoperate with Web browsers.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi