RE: XML Base PER--what is a URI

From: Richard Tobin <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 15:11:59 +0100 (BST)
To: "Hugh Wallis" <xmlschema@standarddimensions.com>, "'Richard Tobin'" <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk>, <www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org>
Cc: "'Steven Pemberton'" <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>, <public-forms@w3.org>, "'Paul Grosso'" <pgrosso@ptc.com>

> Why would the WG not adopt the W3C's official position on what constitutes a
> URI [1] ? (which references RFC 3986 [2] )

Oh dear.  I didn't think this was so hard to explain.  This isn't about
the syntax of URIs, it's about whether some string you find in an
XML document is intended to be interpreted as a URI.

In an XSLT stylesheet, given the XPath "document('foo')", "foo" is
interpreted as a URI.  In the XPath "@name = 'foo'", "foo" is not
interpreted as a URI.  The fact that one "foo" is interpreted as a URI
and the other isn't is governed by the XSLT and XPath specs.

-- Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.