Re: XML Base PER--what is a URI

From: Richard Tobin <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 12:41:29 +0100 (BST)
To: www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org
Cc: Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>, public-forms@w3.org, Paul Grosso <pgrosso@ptc.com>

>Without having discussed this response with the group yet (we shall this
>afternoon), wouldn't the text below be exactly what the spec needs?
>
>   It would not be right for XML Base to define what strings
>   should be considered URIs.  That is entirely up to the XML
>   vocabulary in question.  This spec addresses the question:
>   *given* a relative URI, how is it resolved?

I have added a paragraph to the introduction (slightly less informally
phrased):

  This specification does not attempt to specify which strings in a
  document are considered URIs. That is the responsibility of each XML
  vocabulary. The question addressed by this specification is: given a
  relative URI in an XML document, what base URI is it resolved against?

Please let us know whether you find this satisfactory.

-- Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.