Leigh Klotz, Xerox (minutes)
Nick van den Bleeken, Inventive Designers
Keith Wells, IBM
Erik Bruchez, Orbeon

* Agenda

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms/2008Sep/0044.html

* Previous minutes

* Rich Internet Applications

Charlie Wiecha: We're going to talk about modularity and streamlining, then give examples of composition in SMIL, Voice XML, and ODF with Forms, using a data model for composition. Then we'll discuss MVC patterns for wrapping calendar pickers and color pickers in YUI, showing how it's a general techique.
John Boyer: The MVC-Connector architecture as well.
Leigh Klotz: Is there something you're going to publish?
Charlie Wiecha: I've got a draft. We're beefing up the backplane wiki.
John Boyer: In the past, the Tech Plenary talks have been put up in the W3C space as well.

* XForms 1.0 Basic

Leigh Klotz: Nope. Did you get my submission headers changes in yet?
John Boyer: Not yet.

* New Product

Nick van: We just released a new version of our product using XForms.
John Boyer: Can you provide a news link?

* TPAC Arrangements

John Boyer: The XML Security meeting is 11am-12:30. We're not on with CDF for mustUnderstand as they're in flux (there's no chair). The WebApps WG refused our meeting request; I tried several times to appeal the refusal. They've said that they don't want to talk about anything that's not in the next few months, and that we should join their WG and solve their problems.
Charlie Wiecha: And HTML?
John Boyer: I've asked on Thursday and Chris Wilson said yes. The chair didn't ask the membership, and only four said yes.
Charlie Wiecha: Monday at 4:00 as Backplane with MMI, and then Protcols and Formats Tuesday after lunch.
John Boyer: And forms?
Charlie Wiecha: I've asked for it as Backplane; I'm not sure there's much overlap with MMI. We're going to go through Ubiquity, the voice example as a composition pattern, streamlined behavior and MVC.
John Boyer: The 4:00 slot will have more teleconference members so we should do Forms business, but the morning A11Y meeting might be a better joint meeting.
Charlie Wiecha: That makes sense.

* WebForms-A

http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/specs/XForms1.2/modules/streamlined/index-all.html

John Boyer: I've changed the name based on last week's discussion. The three thrusts are

John Boyer: There are a lot of examples, and all are HTML forms with attribute decorations.
Leigh Klotz: I think we need a new holistic title; this isn't about forms, and XForms hasn't been about forms for seven or eight years now.
Charlie Wiecha: Instead of Rich, Data Rich.
Leigh Klotz: I'm thinking of more Web on Rails or Form Rails.
John Boyer: We can't really get rid of Forms, because we're the Forms WG.
Leigh Klotz: ...
Erik Bruchez: I think it's fine to play on the same level as HTML WG and promote alternatives, but what we are doing is useful separately. IBM's products, John's for example, don't require a browser. XForms addresses more complex problems than what Web Forms 2.0 is trying to do. By positioning this as a competitor we're just going to lose. There's a huge difference in the complexity of what you can do. For a form with 300 fields and calculation, you need a data model.
John Boyer: Yes, it apparently is a mistake to think that we're in a separate space. When our WG was re chartered, the mandate from W3C was that we've gotten traction in the "big forms" space but try to drive broader adoption in the larger web community. So, how do we apply principles of software engineering to the large monolithic system we have. There's a lot of human investment in understanding how HTML forms work, so we need an onramp. This document addresses the ten-field form better than Web Forms 2.0, but it has an underlying data model. Now that you have attribute decorations, you can begin to adopt XForms element modules one by one as well.

Erik Bruchez: If it works, it's great, but what's the next step? I think it's a good idea. But once it's out there, who's going to making the next step to support more elements?
John Boyer: The complaint is that XForms is too difficult and too different. So we need to get around the complaint that "it's not available in my web browser." We had some plugins for Firefox, but they didn't feel it was native enough because it didn't ship by default. Others complained because it was only one browser. So instead of taking a direct approach, take the approach of YUI and Scriptaculous. I've talked about this at ACM and other places. We'll get implementations out there; Ubiquity will be one and we'll need another.
Leigh Klotz: Why? Isn't one open-source project that works in five major browsers good enough?
John Boyer: That's a good point; they are separate implementations for different browsers.

Leigh Klotz: "Forms Plus A: Enhancing Dynamic Web Pages with Layered Attributes"

Charlie Wiecha: When is the publication deadline?
John Boyer: I think a week before. We can present it as internal working group content.
Leigh Klotz: I think this document doesn't address the intended audience. I'd say try to pick out the examples and put them in a more narrative document like Steven's "XForms FAQ for HTML Authors."

John Boyer: Our charter says to "draw upon the the Web Forms 2 work and create something that is integrated with the Web Architecture." http://www.w3.org/2007/03/forms-charter.html So we need to draw upon this and take an approach that the HTML group can use.

Leigh Klotz: To appeal to that group, you'll have to start on the glass.
John Boyer: I agree; the example content is the driver for the talk.

Charlie Wiecha: Mark has an example of using Dave Ragget's Slidey with embedded Ubiquity code. You might be able to embed executable WebForms-A code.
John Boyer: Yes, I realized it might be possible through Ubiquity right now, to show the form, data model, and corresponding forms, and have the behavior and have the spec become an interactive document.
Charlie Wiecha: So in the FAQ version you might be able to do that.
John Boyer: It would be a different kind of spec from any W3C spec.
Charlie Wiecha: Don Knuth used to talk about that kind of stuff, but this is on the web.

John Boyer: Maybe we can discuss some of the technical details.

* WebForms-A Default Instance

http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/specs/XForms1.2/modules/streamlined/index-all.html#default-data-instance

John Boyer: There are three names: name, type, check. I changed the prefixes to wfa-. It's not clear we need that but it can make it easier. What do you think?
Charlie Wiecha: Who would use these?
John Boyer: The examples are after initialization: http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/specs/XForms1.2/modules/streamlined/index-all.html#default-data-instance-initialvalues

John Boyer: It looks like HTML; it's not even well-formed XML. We're layering semantics on top of that.
Charlie Wiecha: Who uses the hyphenated versions?
John Boyer: I want to get rid of them; they seem like a fallback plan to avoid any conflicts.
Erik Bruchez: ...
John Boyer: In section 1, I talked about local and global attributes. I mention that a host language may adopt them without the prefix; maybe we should instead say they can adopt them with the prefix. Since there are all these variations, in the spec I'll use the namespace-qualified version in the spec and the non-qualified version in the examples. But it seems like it's a good idea to get rid of the wfa- business.
Charlie Wiecha: It clutters up the text.
John Boyer: I'll do that.

John Boyer: Back to the tables, section 2 is about indicating forms and it just has "form." Section 3 talks about the default data instance. You could put 'serialization="application/xml"' and that one attribute gives you 'replace="all"' XML submission from XForms. With a couple of more attributes, you could submit only part of a document. To graduate up from that into doing instance replacements, moving a couple of attribute decorations to the form tag to the submission button does this. That plays on Nick's work with submission attributes on the XForms submit control. They could easily be placed on an input of input of type submit.

John Boyer: In section 3.2, http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/specs/XForms1.2/modules/streamlined/index-all.html#default-data-instance-initialvalues it shows you the produced instance data. Next is a fieldset.

John Boyer: Later down we show duplicate names with radio buttons and checkboxes. I don't know if there are other occurrences of duplicate names but we can get that during the review.
Leigh Klotz: Reusing the name is one way to do a repeat.
John Boyer: We have a startsize attribute in section 3.3. Our underlying model lets us solve repeats without this problem. I understand that the repeat module has been removed from Web Forms 2.0; that's interesting considering that it can be solved with a single attribute.
Keith Wells: In the second example, shouldn't checked have a value?
John Boyer: It fleshes itself out in the submission. My understanding of x-www-form-urlencoded is so XForms can be used in lieu of HTML Forms. It does need to be looed at further.
Keith Wells: I can.

John Boyer: In section 3.3, see that the startsize attribute indicates that the tr is the repeating element (not its content as it says). The runtime produces multiple copies of the content. During instance creation, the startsize shows how many are to be created.
John Boyer: Next, we start with an xforms group whose ref is order; it has the same tables, header, and thead. Rather than having a tr, I have an XForms repeat around the tr. I think that's allowed.
Nick van: I think it's not allowed.
John Boyer: Not by the HTML DTD or XHTML Schema but what are people actually doing? I understand there are only shallow implementations of attribute repeats. Keith?
Keith Wells: I've seen it done with styling to be table rows and cells. I've seen repeat with table rows under them like you have, but mostly people try to do it through CSS styling. You style the repeat item as if it were a table-row item.
John Boyer: How does this look written?
Leigh Klotz: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/XForms/CSS_tables
Nick van: Does it work in IE?
Leigh Klotz: That's more a Ubiquity question; John's question was about how it works in Firefox XForms. IE quirks aren't the question here.

John Boyer: It has the loan form here as markup. My hope is the have the xpath expression context and variables ($, no $) done.
Leigh Klotz: In your talk, I'd start with the examples from the end and show maybe a couple of the areas.
John Boyer: This is part of Charlie's talk so there's only one example.

Leigh Klotz: So can you consider WebForms+A instead of Webforms-minus-a?
John Boyer: Good point; I was considering it a hyphen.

* IRC Log

http://www.w3.org/2008/10/01-forms-minutes.html

* Meeting Ends