Re: Straw poll on name of "streamlined syntax" spec

Using XForms 1.2 for just the streamlined syntax by itself is tempting,
though it would require either

1) that we either merge the "XFormsA" material into the full spec, or

2) that we publish "XFormsA" as a separate module and also a rev of the
full XForms spec that only makes the changes needed to support "XFormsA"

The latter of the above approaches has several advantages:

i) the "XFormsA" content is highlighted to the web community as a primer
or on-ramp, rather than being lost in and amongst the full spec
ii) as a module, "XFormsA" may be viewed as a conformance profile (a bit
like "Basic" except perhaps not a proper subset of full)
iii) as a module, implementers of XForms full could decide whether or not
to implement, which has been important to some in the past.

Assuming the latter approach is preferable, it so happens we still need a
name for the module, to distinguish it from the full spec.

Note that we never really got off the ground with XForms 1.0 Basic
because, quite frankly, it is so close in functionality to XForms full
that it may as well be called a full implementation.  In fact, in 1.1, the
conformance section already allows the 1.0 Basic limitations to be
included in a "full" processor, so there is no future for XForms 1.0
Basic.

On the other hand, it has been proposed in this thread that this new
streamlined syntax might more reasonably be called "XForms Basic".  This
has all the earmarks of what is typically known in our business as ... a
good point.  It beats the name "XForms 1.2 Transitional" and it gets
around the problem that the spec wants for both attributes and script
functions.

So, the go-forward plan could be

"XForms 1.2" as a very small rev of XForms 1.1

"XForms 1.2 Basic" for the streamlined expression of data-rich web
applications

John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM, Interactive Documents and Web 2.0 Applications
Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Blog RSS feed: