Re: Naming the forms/attribute technology [was Re: Discussion points for "Forms-A"]

Well, I do wish you would reconsider your stance here.
You've said that it doesn't matter what we call it as the rationale for
calling it one thing and not another.

But if it doesn't matter, then let's call it WebFormsA.  Here again are
the points I've presented in favor of doing so:

1) By closely examining the rough draft specification, one should be able
to see how closely it is aligned with mapping web forms from HTML4 with
the architecture of XForms.  This is not an arbitrary mapping for an
aribtrary host language, though there is some language in the rough draft
that permits this generalization, as there should be.  But there are
numerous and specific affordances for backwards compatibility with HTML4,
and thus it should be clear that this specification is most directly
targeted at the issue of providing the XForms architecture to forms as
practiced on the web today.

2) Our charter mission statement calls for us to issue specifications that
cover forms on the web.  Our deliverables under this charter call for a
specification that merges the ideation of Web Forms 2.0 with the
architecture of XForms.   Strategically, this working group must project
to the web community that it is achieving its charter mission and
deliverables.  We not only must achieve our objectives, but we must
clearly communicate that we have done so and let the W3C then sort out any
namespace conflicts.

I have already taken as granted the point raised by several, including
you, that the particular choice of name is unlikely to result in adoption
by the HTML5 WG.  But this is certainly no reason not to try, and either
way adoption by the HTML5 WG is a tertiary consideration given the points
above.  We need to clearly communicate to the much wider web community
what is the intent of this specification and what is the intent of this
working group in publishing it.

Please reconsider.  Even an "I don't prefer it but could live with it"
would expedite the resolution to go to first public working draft with the
document.

Thank you,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM, Interactive Documents and Web 2.0 Applications
Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Blog RSS feed: