Re: what happens if someone puts a model inside a form tag?

It depends who defines what "main use" is.

We heavily use models as an encapsulation of reusable functionality
within forms. Want persistence? Include the persistence model. Want an
error summary? Include the error summary model (plus view). And we
have numerous situations were models do need to talk to each other,
and they do, sometimes through extensions.

But even without extensions, since ids are global in a document,
nothing AFAIK prevents a model to call <xforms:send
submission="foobar"/>, where foobar is an id in another model.
(Anyway, we do have issues with ids in XForms, and as I suggested we
should start using names rather than ids to increase encapsulation.)

-Erik

http://www.orbeon.com/