Re: Pros and cons of different solutions: three slightly different versions of the PO example

All,

Personally I don't have anything against the "control()" XPath  function
nor the "Variables" approach, but (as mentioned on the call) the 'current'
syntax becomes really complicated in repeats I think:

<repeat name="order" nodeset="row">
    <select1 name="Product"> ...
    <input name="Quantity"> ...
    <input name="Price"> ...
    <output name="LineTotal" calculate="$Price[index('order')] *
Quantity[index('order')]"/>
</repeat>
<output name="Subtotal" calculate="sum($LineTotal)"/>
<output name="Tax" calculate="$Subtotal * 0.07"/>
<output name="Total" calculate="$Subtotal + $Tax"/>

Please don't look at the control types nor the attributes that are used
for calculating the result. The problem that needs to be solved I guess is
that it is counter intuitive that you need to use the index function to
address the correct item in the repeat ($Price[index('order')]) because
you also sometimes want to address all the values the control holds(e.g.:
sum($LineTotal)).

It could be that it is just because I use XPath for so long now that I
find the syntax that just refers to the nodes easier:

<repeat name="order" nodeset="row">
    <select1 name="Product"> ...
    <input name="Quantity"> ...
    <input name="Price"> ...
    <output name="LineTotal" calculate="Price * Quantity"/>
</repeat>
<output name="Subtotal" calculate="sum(order/row/LineTotal)"/>
<output name="Tax" calculate="Subtotal * 0.07"/>
<output name="Total" calculate="Subtotal + Tax"/>

I think that the 80%-20% rule will apply here and that in the most cases
you want to refer to the 'nodes' in the current row and you only want to
refer to a 'node' in a different row in rare cases (e.g.: sum every item
until the current row, compare against previous row, ...). So the XPath
evaluation context we define turns out to be  quite intuitive, also for
none XPath wizards, I think.

Regards,

Nick Van den Bleeken  -  Research & Development Manager
Inventive Designers
Phone: +32 - 3 - 8210170
Fax: +32 - 3 - 8210171
Email: Nick_Van_den_Bleeken@inventivegroup.com