Re: XForms 1.1: xforms:submission/@mediatype issue

From: Erik Bruchez <ebruchez@orbeon.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 16:01:22 -0700
To: "public-forms (new)" <public-forms@w3.org>

> submission/@mediatype was put in to allow SOAP serialization as
> text/xml. ; The restriction to XML types was intentional, as we wanted
> to make as limited a feature as possible in a short time.  A number of
> issues and use cases have surfaced since then, and we're now ready to
> begin thinkinga about non-XML serializations, so I think we should
> decide on this issue in that context.

There may be a misunderstanding here: we already have non-XML
serializations, namely application/x-www-form-urlencoded and multipart/
form-data. In those cases, the source is always an XML document, but
the serialization over the wire is not XML.

The @serialization attribute controls which serialization is used.
That defines an implicit mediatype (application/x-www-form-urlencoded
and multipart/form-data).

What I am saying is that in those cases, @mediatype should also be
usable to set the Content-Type. Doing otherwise seems an unnecessary
restriction dating back to XForms 1.0.