Re: DRAFT: XForms Instance Data Module

From: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@webbackplane.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 23:05:14 +0100
To: "Charles F Wiecha" <wiecha@us.ibm.com>
Cc: public-forms <public-forms@w3.org>

Hi Charlie,

Great to see this moving forwards.

My comments would be that this module probably does too much. I've
always thought that at root we need a 'data island' module, which does
nothing other than getting data from somewhere--or inline--and making
it available to other layers of the architecture. (Some notes on this
from a couple of years ago are here [1]. Note that in this discussion
I also suggested that we allow text, not just full well-formed XML
documents.)

There are a couple of reasons for this. The first is of course that it
is more modular, and makes it easier to co-ordinate; for example, we
don't need events to define data islands, which we would if we
included <setvalue> and <insert>.

Second, it makes it possible to break the way that data is referenced
from the data itself. For example, I wouldn't particularly want to see
<insert> to be limited to XML, when we come to define that. And I'd
like to see <bind> provide a 'view' on some underlying data that can
be used in many ways.

Regards,

Mark

[1] <http://www.formsplayer.com/node/50>