Re: DRAFT: XForms Instance Data Module

Hi Charlie,

Great to see this moving forwards.

My comments would be that this module probably does too much. I've
always thought that at root we need a 'data island' module, which does
nothing other than getting data from somewhere--or inline--and making
it available to other layers of the architecture. (Some notes on this
from a couple of years ago are here [1]. Note that in this discussion
I also suggested that we allow text, not just full well-formed XML
documents.)

There are a couple of reasons for this. The first is of course that it
is more modular, and makes it easier to co-ordinate; for example, we
don't need events to define data islands, which we would if we
included <setvalue> and <insert>.

Second, it makes it possible to break the way that data is referenced
from the data itself. For example, I wouldn't particularly want to see
<insert> to be limited to XML, when we come to define that. And I'd
like to see <bind> provide a 'view' on some underlying data that can
be used in many ways.

Regards,

Mark

[1] <http://www.formsplayer.com/node/50>