Re: A rose by any other name...

Hi John,
But the point about something like Ajax, is that it named something that
already had momentum. I think you'll agree that no-one was sitting round
thinking, 'how can we make the use of JavaScript in browsers more
popular...we really need a catchy name'. :)

So by all means come up with an Intel-inside name for the next version or
versions of XForms. But aren't we putting the cart before the horse a
little, to be worrying about this now?

If I was to worry about anything, I'd say, how come the level of blogging
about XForms is so low? I set up planetXForms the other week, to help people
find stuff on XForms, and once you have all of the historical stuff, there
is very little activity there. I can say for certain that there are at least
three people in our group who don't have a blog at the moment, but if they
had one I'd read it avidly. :)

And what about screenshots and videos? Why don't implementers take some time
to put some screenshots into the Flickr XForms group, or videos into the
YouTube group, and tag them with XForms so that they pop up on planetXForms.
These will clarify what XForms is all about far more than choosing a clever
name.

And presentations. I'm guilty here, too, since I have lots of presentations
that I've done on XForms over the years that I haven't yet linked to (they
are public in our SVN repository, as it happens), but surely other people
have slides, too? Let's see them.

So if I was to worry about anything, it wouldn't be the name, it would be
that no-one else except us is going to create a community around XForms, so
we need to get on with it.

And sure, if you want to add something to the XForms name to make things
clearer, go ahead...but I have to confess I can't get too excited about it.
:)

Regards,

Mark

--