Re: A rose by any other name...

John and all,

i've been unhappy with name XForms for a long time for the reasons
already mentioned in this thread of discussion. - it simply bears the
wrong connotations.

So i would be happy to see a new name but as pointed out we can't drop
XForms completely without loosing all the references of the past. This
is not an option IMO.

But to clearly signal to the world that XForms from now on (at least) is
to be considered much more than a simple language to describe a form an
addition to the name would be nice (if possible somehow). We've seen
examples of this often in the past e.g. Windows NT.

I've no concrete proposal for a name but we don't always need to think
in descriptive shortcuts (the notorious 3 letter shortcuts) but may use
free names as addon. More as in OSX Tiger/Panther or Windows Longhorn or
whatever. I'll just like to point out that descriptive terms (if
shortcut or not) that directly imply certain connotations can easily
become a bumerang when the focus of the product changes or extends.

My +1 for a addon to the name.

Joern