Proposal: XForms Infoset model

From: Ulrich Nicolas Lissť <unl@dreamlab.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 14:26:10 +0100
To: Forms WG <public-forms@w3.org>

All,

I'd like to propose a rather substantial change to how the spec is
written: Like some other W3C specs (e.g. WSDL 2.0 [1]), we should
consider to define all XForms elements and attributes in terms of an XML
Infoset [2] model. Although this would cause a lot of work I see advantages:

1. We could allow non-XML serializations/representations of documents
containing XForms mark-up. This might be handy especially for XForms 1.2.

2. We could define an abstract component model for XForms, which might
be attracting to implementors. Furthermore, it would be easier to define
processing models for certain components or modules which have different
representations, e.g. submission's attributes on send/submit.

What do you think?

Regards,
Uli.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-wsdl20-20070626/