Re: Do we need an XForms actions module if we switch to XML events 2?

HI all,

I recall seeing a resolution while I was away to go to XML Events 2 for
XForms 1.2, but this reverses previous decisions we made about
modularizing what we have and focusing on stream-lined syntax for web
authors.

It seems problematic to go up a major version number on a baseline
technology while only going up a minor version number in our own language.

As a result, I thought the actions module would have if, while, and
event() in them.

A version of that module could be created in which it inherits those
capabilities from XML Events 2, but that should not prevent the actions
module from having if, while and events() available, regardless of where
it gets them from.

It should be possible to use if, while and event() from XForms 1.1 in the
XForms 1.2 module whether or not you adopt XML Events 2 or stick with the
current XML Events.  Moreover, even if XForms 1.2 were defined as a
consuming profile that did import XML Events 2, this would not change the
point about the actions module, which we are presumably modularizing so
that it can be used by consuming profiles other than XForms 1.2.  To
encumber all consuming profiles with adopting XML Events 2 seems
excessive, particularly since we have already defined all of this without
using XML Events 2.

John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
Senior Technical Staff Member
Lotus Forms Architect and Researcher