Re: The form tag

Hi Erik,

First, thanks (for the initial comment :-]).

Regarding, the form element implying an initial model that is inside the
form element, this is exactly what I mean.

The form element wraps the set of things that constitute the implied
model.  You can esp. see this is true from comments I made about how one
might provide handlers for events targeted at that implied model.  Simply
observe them on the containing form element.

My comments about "nested" models refers to what should happen when the
form author decides to *express* one or more models *within* the form tag.
 How should those models behave with respect to the implied model?  Well,
I believe that the authors intent is to have those models work together
with the implied model, so I believe they must behave as "nested"
submodels of the implied model that is "nested" within the form tag.

One reason a form author might want to do this is to "mash up" some
business rules that are defined in multiple places.  So, I think in tandem
with the notion of nested models, we will find model @src t be
unavoidable.  With this, it would be easy to define a bucket of
functionality like the instance data, binds, submissions and/or actions
needed to talk to some web service.  Once would consume this content with
a model/@src (or by embedding the model in the form tag), and then one
could just listen for the xforms-submit-done bubbling up to that model and
use it to copy data to the master model (the implied model).

Cheers,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
Senior Technical Staff Member
Lotus Forms Architect and Researcher
Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Blog RSS feed:

Erik Bruchez <ebruchez@orbeon.com>
Sent by: public-forms-request@w3.org
04/25/2008 06:44 PM

"Forms WG (new)" <public-forms@w3.org>
cc

Subject
Re: The form tag

John,

Good thinking.

However, couldn't the <form> element imply a <model> element *nested*
within a plain <form> element? This way, <form> would always contain
models and UI controls. No need for nested models here. E.g.:

<form ... attributes for implied model ...>
   <input .../>
</form>

would imply:

<form ... NO attributes for explicit model ...>
   <model>
   </model>
   <input .../>
</form>

This avoids the awkward situation where <model> contains UI controls.

<form> would then become a full XForms citizen for grouping models and
controls. It could also be used as well to attach event handlers for
events which bubble from models as well as UI controls.

Just really quick thoughts.

-Erik

http://www.orbeon.com/