Re: Unfortunate choice of attribute name in XForms 1.1: xforms:submission/@target

From: Erik Bruchez <ebruchez@orbeon.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 13:58:24 -0700
To: "Forms WG (new)" <public-forms@w3.org>

> in your post starting this thread you wrote
> xforms:load,
> Note that we have @show on xf:load which mirrors the HTML form/
> @target attribute. No need for @target there.

I am not in favor of frames in general, but @target does more than
@show since it allows you to target a frame by name, not just open a
new window:

It also support the predefined _blank, _self, _parent and _top names.

I don't entirely dislike the idea of reusing @show, but it seems that
it falls short of being an equivalent to the HTML @target attribute,
in addition to being a less familiar name.

> So, why not adding @show to xf:submission? It would be optional and
> would only be considered when @replace="all" (analogous to @target,
> which is only evaluated on @replace="instance" or @replace="text").
> We don't need to match the HTML attribute names, we only need a
> mapping like this:
> html:form	xf:submission (defaults to @replace="all")
> @action		@resource
> @enctype	@method
> @target		@show
> Adding a new attribute to xf:submission, however, does not feel good
> to me. We already have 21 attributes for this element. This
> painfully highlights the need for a submission refactoring. Which
> would be worth another thread.

Yes, submission has a lot of attributes...

But using attributes with familiar names would help in that kind of
situation. Introducing xforms:submission/@target as a new attribute in
XForms 1.1, but with a meaning different from the HTML @target
attribute, does add to the confusion, especially for authors with a
solid HTML background.

I am not sure why xforms:load/@show was picked back in the days, but
today, in the context of XForms 1.2 in particular, it seems that we
are trying if possible to be closer from HTML.