Re: XForms Simplified Forms Syntax Review Needed

aloha --

i do not think it is the joint task force that is the blocker, but an
unwillingness to sit down and hammer out a standard for next generation
forms -- first, perhaps a requirements document is needed to placate
some, and then the real work can begin on a specific set of technical
recommendations and implementation strategies...

i would object formally, strenuously and repeatedly if Web Forms 2.0 was
to be added to the HTML5 draft -- HTML5 and Web Forms 2.0 were submitted
as 2 distinct documents, and it could only be the hypertext coordination
group that could approve of incorporating Web Forms 2.0 into the HTML5
working group draft in toto...  moreover, HTML WG members have never --
to my knowledge -- been asked to, let alone, approved Web Forms 2.0 as
a working group draft...

but this is not solely an HTML WG or a Forms WG issue -- it is a
fundamental issue facing the W3C -- do we work together to ensure the
greatest possible harmonization and synchronization of constructs, syntax
and grammar or are some working groups going to reinvent the wheel
simply because they won't consider that there can be -- and must be --
a bi-directional bridge, nay symbiosis, between the XML and HTML halves
of the MarkUp whole...

this is an issue that must be faced now, and one which should be
considered in light of the plans to serialize HTML5 as an XHTML
dialect/version -- will the XHTML serialization of HTML5 use HTML5-
specific forms mechanisms than which will be at odds (both logically
and practically) with the movement towards XForms in the XML, XHTML,
and other communities?

for the record, i do not have a problem with john attempting to
provide constructive fodder for the joint task force -- in fact,
i greatly appreciate the fact that he did -- i do not think it
out of place in his role as chair of the Forms WG, and i copied my
as the staff contacts for both working groups (it was due to user
error that they were added as BCCs rather than carbon-copied)

gregory.
BRAIN, n.  An apparatus with which we think we think.
              -- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary
         Gregory J. Rosmaita, oedipus@hicom.net
     Camera Obscura: http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/
 Oedipus' Online Complex: http://my.opera.com/oedipus/