Re: XForms Simplified Forms Syntax Review Needed

On Apr 2, 2008, at 1:59 PM, John Boyer wrote:

> Hi Gregory and Maciej,
>
> To address Gregory's point first, I am trying now to reinvigorate
> the existing TF.
>
> I think review of a more specific proposal such as the one I put
> forward earlier today is appropriate for the TF, even in light of
> the TF charter language.
>
> Guidelines can be fairly specific.  I think if you guys review
> what's been done so far, it will be easy to glean some really tight
> guidelines.
>
> Also, I think the guidelines can indeed suggest specific vocabulary
> to the HTML and Forms WGs.  The TF is composed of members from both
> groups, so those members are in fact free to say some very specific
> things in the guidelines.  For example, specific vocabulary is
> important to today's web authors.  This is why we chose the 'name'
> attribute.  It's already familiar to today's HTML form authors.

I think suggestions of specific syntax would not, in fact, be valid
"guidelines for architectural consistency". Our charter decision
policy requires consensus and I will certainly vote "disagree" on any
such proposal as it would be clearly out of charter for the TF.

> I agree with your position that the purpose of the TF is to do some
> real work that does a real job of promoting new HTML forms that the
> HTML WG can be happy with and that can be mapped to and *therefore*
> scale up seamlessly to XForms so the Forms WG can be happy.

That is most definitely not the purpose of the TF. No where in our
charter is there anything about defining a mapping from HTML forms
syntax to XForms. I object to the TF doing off-charter work. I an
uncomfortable a non-member of the TF trying to push us to do off-
charter work.

> I also agree that telecons of the willing are important because the
> TF has already proven that email alone does not work.
>
> Indeed, this topic has so far proven challenging enough that it is
> only by a combination of email and telecon time over the last 3
> months straight that we have managed to figure out enough of what
> the heck is going on that we have anything reasonable to bring
> forward.   Now that we have a "strawman" created based on the full
> attention of the Forms WG for quite a while now, I'd really like to
> use it to get the TF into action.

The "strawman" does not include anything that would satisfy our
charter deliverables. So I do not see how it would aid the TF's work.
Can you clarify to me how a proposal for a new XForms syntax helps us
to define architectural consistency guidelines for forms languages?

> We really do need to talk to each other on a regular telecon over
> the next three months because if we do, then we'll actually have
> something concrete to bring forward to the general WGs.
>
> Finally, the only point I don't understand about the TF charter is
> having it end in July.  Presumably, if good progress starts to
> happen in the next three months, the TF charter can be renewed until
> we get the right integration across the two actual working groups.
> That's the real charter of the TF as mandated by the charters of the
> working groups from which the TF membership is drawn.

The real charter of the TF is what I sent. It does not include any
mention of "integration". (Nor do the HTML WG or Forms WG charters
require integration.) I am very uncomfortable with the chair of the
Forms WG unilaterally trying to change the Task Force charter. Perhaps
this is something you should discuss with the chairs of the HTML WG.

Regards,
Maciej