Re: MORE ACTION NEEDED (Uli): Better Examples for Insert and Delete

John,

I reworked the remaining examples according to your suggestions and
applied some minor fixes to the first four you already worked out. I
hope they are much clearer now. Thanks again for your valuable input.

Attached are the files. Note I renamed some of them again, so index.xml
also changed.

Regards,
Uli.

John Boyer wrote:

> Hi Uli,
>
> I've done a fair bit of work to incorporate the insert/delete examples
> into the spec.  I added them into a normative appendix rather than
> directly to the actions chapter because then insert and delete look more
> like the other action descriptions.  The appendix also allowed me the
> space to divide your examples into subsections for readability.
>
> I removed your example about keeping a repeat non-empty because that
> exists already in the delete section.
>
> I made quite a few changes to the first four examples, including some
> error corrections and quite a bit of format changes to enhance
> readability.  The main goal of these examples is, I think, to provide
> ease-to-understand usage patterns of insert and delete for common
> operations.  I have done all the work on the first four patterns to show
> how it should be done, and I would like to ask you to please get the
> source bundle [1] and do the same operations on the remaining 11 patterns.
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/specs/XForms1.1/xforms11.full.zip
>
> Here are the things that need to be done (again, look to the first four
> to see how to do these things):
>
> 1) Please rename the id attributes in each div2 to match the file name.
>
> 2) Move the head element from the example to the first child of the
> div2, and give a title appropriate for the filename. I renamed some of
> your examples using the filename; please make the title match (e.g.
> change insert attribute list to copy attribute list).
>
> 3) Start out by presenting a pattern that describes the general case.
> Consider whether your current 'operation' really is the general case and
> amend as needed (e.g. you will undoubtedly notice that my changes to the
> first four patterns were based on the need for better generalization).
>  Also, use the same markup I did to make the pattern more readable.
>
> 4) Put the "Operation" first, and describe the operation.
>
> 5) Remove unnecessary markup from the operation.  Remove trigger, label,
> and repeat.  Instead of using index() in at, use an exact number.  You
> can consider doing an 'alternate' version that uses index() if you
> really want, but all this extra markup is making it hard for people to
> quickly digest the material.
>
> 6) Change the title of Starting data and Ending data to "Data Before
> Operation" and "Data After Operation"
>
> 7) Show what changed between the before and after cases using the same
> markup as I used.  In the case of removing data, put the special markup
> in the "Data Before Operation" so we can see what got removed.  For the
> Move cases, highlight where it is in both the before and after cases.
>
> 8) Put the main instance data *before* any prototype instances, and
> remove the id from the main data.  Fix the examples so that they do not
> call the instance function to get at the main data.  It is categorically
> too nerdy to invoke instance() on the main data.

> [...]
<snip/>
--
Ulrich Nicolas Lissé