Re: Candidate Recommendation Transition Request for XForms 1.1

Hi Chris,

Now that you are back from vacation, you will undoubtedly soon notice that
the meeting was held last week on Wednesday.

The scheduling problem here was that non-overlapping vacation times by all
the participants left us with no ability to schedule the call before 2008.

For the record, I did ask Steve whether he would prefer to wait until his
and your return in December, but he indicated it was reasonable to proceed
on last Wednesday.

The minutes of the meeting and the issues discussed appear in Steven's
draft of the director's decision.

It should be noted that we did not spend time on the particular issue that
you pointed out.  In summary, the reason is that Bjoern did not raise a
formal objection to the advancement of XForms 1.1 to CR.  More generally,
there were *no* formal objections to advancement to CR.

In Bjoern's case, it is a little difficult to fully characterize what
happened using only "lossy" state qualifiers and abbreviated notes. Bjoern
did participate in a thread of discussion with me on the editor's list.
Later, the working group actually sent separate emails responding to the
relevant issues separately; he didn't respond most of those, except the
one that still concerned him.  After receiving a further clarification, he
didn't respond further.  Overall, I felt it best to classify the
interaction as "Agree" rather than "No response" (which is an implicit
agree), because he did respond where he felt it necessary.

Regardless of the title of his last call comment, we handled it as a last
call comment, agreeing to and accepting all but one point, and defering
that one other point.  By comparison, here is the trajectory that a formal
objection to advancement to CR would take:
1) reviewer provides last call comment
2) working group rejects or defers, or it resolves in a way not
satisfactory to the reviewer
3) the reviewer formally objects to advancement of the document based on
dissatisfaction with the handling of the reviewer's comment

Neither Bjoern nor any other member of the public formally objected to how
we handled their last call comments.

Finally, note that a number of Bjoern's concerns did seem to be about
process-related issues for XForms 1.0.  In that regard, Bjoern also had
another opportunity to object during the recent advancement of XForms 1.0
Third Edition, but he did not object, and we did not expect him to do so
because we did address his concerns.

Best regards,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM: Lotus Forms Architect and Researcher
Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Sent by: public-forms-request@w3.org
11/26/2007 09:57 AM
Please respond to
Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>

Steve Bratt <steve@w3.org>
cc
John Boyer/CanWest/IBM@IBMCA, timbl@w3.org, W3C Comm Team
<w3t-comm@w3.org>, <chairs@w3.org>, "Forms WG (new)" <public-forms@w3.org>
Subject

http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/2007/xforms11-lc-doc-20071114.html#ssec124
SB> was rejected by the group and the commenter was unhappy.  We can
SB> talk about this, and the other "editorial" (so marked) comments
SB> that the commenters were not happy about on the call.

I also noted one request for a formal objection.
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/2007/xforms11-lc-doc-20071114.html#ssec53

Its not clear that the objection should be sustained, since for one thing
its for a *different spec* and also the current specification does not
display the problem that was originally complained about, which was
already fixed in XForms 1.1 in fact. The commentor is making a process
point here, not a technical one.

But it should still be discussed and agreed on the call; marking it as
user position: 'agree' is odd since the original commentor did not
respond.

SB> I'm happy to go forward with a transition call.  Here are times
SB> (US ET) in the coming week that work for me:

SB> Mon 19 Nov: noon - 2pm; 4-5pm
SB> Wed 21 Nov: 11am - 4pm

(I was on vacation that week)

SB> (in China the following week)

I can do any of the times listed below, except Tues 9am-11am and Fri
10-11am.

SB> Mon 3 Dec: noon - 5pm
SB> Tue 4 Dec: 9am - 2:30pm
SB> Wed 5 Dec: noon - 4pm