Urgent: container form controls and display:block

From: John Boyer <boyerj@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 10:21:46 -0700
To: Forms WG (new) <public-forms@w3.org>
Just trying to finish up the last few LC comments, and the one from Steven
about default styling of form controls is posing a bit of a problem for
me.

I am having a really hard time "living with" display:inline as the default
for container form controls because it seems to mean that everyone *must*
use styling to make a simple repeat behave as we all expect it to behave.

Granted that there are cases where it can be beneficial to have a group,
switch or repeat styled as inline, but these controls, as containers are
generally big box-like things that you tend to want to put things above
and below far more often than next to.

In particular, consider the reasonable default behavior of a repeat.  Each
repeat object is a group.  We tend to expect each repeat object to be a
"row" of the table, which means we vertically stack the repeat object
groups.  Hence, these groups need to be display:block.

It seems like the best default styling is display:inline for Core Form
Controls, and display:block for Container Form Controls.

Is anyone not OK with that?
Steven, what do you think?

John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM: Lotus Forms Architect and Researcher