RE: test case for bind/@type validation and first text node rule

In the 2004 email, it asks whether the UI binding is to the element or to
the text node.  It was clear at the time that it was not the element,
since the element may have attributes and the form control cannot set
those too.

But no alternative to *the* text node interpretation was proposed.  Now,
after three more years of experience, it is clearer that there is a much
more preferrable alternative, which is to say that the UI binding binds to
the content of the element.

This means that the "string()" of the node is shown as the initial
content, and a change to the content would replace the existing content
with the new text, which may destroy any intervening PIs, comments etc.

One reason this was not considered is that it was not well-known, despite
being in the recommendation, that UI controls which attempt to bind to
nodes with complex content are supposed to produce a binding exception.
This means that we don't need the first text node rule to resolve the
problem of binding to complex content.

Since we can focus on the issue of intervening PIs and comments, the
reality is that if someone really wants to bind to a particular text node
and preserve sibling PIs and comments, there is a way to do that with a
better XPath, but that isn't really our *main* use case, so it should not
be the default behavior.  When a UI binding and type MIP both indicate an
element, they should be talking about the same thing, which is the
content.

Cheers,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM: Lotus Forms Architect and Researcher
Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

"Klotz, Leigh" <Leigh.Klotz@xerox.com>
Sent by: public-forms-request@w3.org
06/19/2007 11:41 AM

"David Landwehr" <david.landwehr@picoforms.com>
cc
<public-forms@w3.org>
Subject
RE: test case for bind/@type validation and first text node rule

David,
As always, your insight is valuable.  It would have been somewhat more
valuable had you been able to participate in the face to face meeting,
even by IRC, but I understand you may have business contraints.  Please
continue to provide feedback on this issue.
Leigh.