[Fwd: Remarks questions about xf:insert in XForms 1.1]

All,

The attached comments from Nick on xforms:insert were sent to
www-forms on March 7, 2007.

I commented on some of those in a reply to Nick's message in
www-forms. The reply is attached as well.

These comments were discussed by the WG (I was not present, and
neither was John) during the call of May 23, 2007. The resolution was
that these are editorial notes that John and I should address.

This is perfectly fine however I don't think an action item was
recorded for this. I would like to make sure that we record and
address this appropriately.

What's the best way to go forward?

Thanks,

http://www.orbeon.com/

Forwarded message 1

All,

When implementing the insert action of XForms 1.1 I found the following
questions/remarks:

Question 1:
 - Point 1 says that 'The insert action is terminated with no effect if
the insert context is the empty node-set, or if the insert context is not
an element.'

 - Point 2.b says 'The context attribute is given, the insert context does
not evaluate to an element node and the Node Set Binding node-set is the
empty node-set.'

 - How can you ever reach 2 if the context attribute is given and the
insert context does not evaluate to an element node?

Question 2:
 - Point 2.a says that the action is terminated when 'The context
attribute is not given and the Node Set Binding node-set is the empty
node-set.'

 - Point 3 says 'If the origin attribute is not given and the Node Set
Binding node-set is empty, then the origin node-set is the empty node-set'

 - How can you ever reach this case in 3?

Question 3:
 - origin attribute sates that 'The origin node-set is the set of one or
more nodes to be cloned by the insert action. If this attribute is present
and resolves to a non-empty nodeset, then the result overrides the default
setting of the origin node-set as described below in the processing of the
insert action.'

 - Point 3 states : 'If the origin attribute is given, the origin node-set
is the result of the evaluation of the origin  attribute in the insert
context. The insert action is terminated with no effect if the origin
node-set is the empty node-set.'

 -> If I read the text of the origin attribute I'll expect that if you get
an empty result set after evaluating the origin attribute that you will
use the last node of the Node Set Binding to get the nodes to insert. But
Point 3 just nop's if origin attribute results in an empty node set

Question 4:
- Point 4 in what case is the Node Set Binding node-set not specified and
not empty?

Thanks in advance,

Nick Van den Bleeken  -  Research & Development
Inventive Designers
Phone: +32 - 3 - 8210170
Fax: +32 - 3 - 8210171
Email: Nick_Van_den_Bleeken@inventivedesigners.com

Inventive Designers' Email Disclaimer:

Forwarded message 2

>  - Point 3 states : 'If the origin attribute is given, the origin node-set
> is the result of the evaluation of the origin  attribute in the insert
> context. The insert action is terminated with no effect if the origin
> node-set is the empty node-set.'
>
>  -> If I read the text of the origin attribute I'll expect that if you get
> an empty result set after evaluating the origin attribute that you will
> use the last node of the Node Set Binding to get the nodes to insert. But
> Point 3 just nop's if origin attribute results in an empty node set

My opinion: if a form author specifies @origin, then that should be the
source of the nodes to copy. If empty, then nothing is copied.

We should *not* revert to using the last node of the node-set binding.
This would be really surprising to me as a form author.

> Question 4:
> - Point 4 in what case is the Node Set Binding node-set not specified and
> not empty?

The text says it can either:

1. Not be specified at all. This is possible because @nodeset and @bind
are now optional on xforms:insert.

2. Be specified and return an empty node-set.

http://www.orbeon.com/