Non-equivalence of ref and bind

From: Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 14:03:44 +0200
To: "Forms WG (new)" <public-forms@w3.org>

I just stumbled on this (to my embarrassment that it hadn't occurred to me
earlier) but I consider it as a bad bug:

If you replace

       <label
ref="instance('q')/lang[@code=instance('default')/lang]/q[@n='language']"
/>

with what at first sight is the equivalent

       <bind id="language"
nodeset="instance('q')/lang[@code=instance('default')/lang]/q[@n='language']"
/>
       <label bind="language" />

it doesn't behave equivalently, because the second case needs an explicit
rebuild, and apparently the first doesn't.
How can this be? A bind ought to be equivalent to the use of a ref; and
any constraint-based system should be able to tell what needs updating. Is
this really hard to fix?

Steven