Plugin v. Extension and AJAX, was Re: charter all set now?

Hi Mark and Chris,

Based on the feedback, I would've thought that the sentence would have
contained "(through extensions, plugins or AJAX)" or something like that.
Taking the time to mention 'extension' distinctly from plugin seems at
least somewhat worthwhile for the reasons you (Mark) mentioned, though I
agree that I don't see much difference really.  Mentioning AJAX in
addition to plugins seems far more important as we do have vendors
delivering XForms capability or content+capability to the client side
without a plugin/extension by using AJAX.  In fact, I think you're (Mark
is) probably one in that camp too, now that I think about it.

So, Chris, would it be possible to further amend as above?

Thanks,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM: Lotus Forms Architect and Researcher
Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

"Mark Birbeck" <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
Sent by: public-forms-request@w3.org
07/04/2007 08:06 AM
Please respond to
mark.birbeck@x-port.net

"Chris Lilley" <chris@w3.org>
cc
"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>, John Boyer/CanWest/IBM@IBMCA,
public-forms@w3.org
Subject
Re: charter all set now?

Hello all,

No doubt everyone will think I'm saying this because we are authors of
formsPlayer, a plug-in for IE...but I'm not. :)

I'm not following either the logic behind this line of reasoning, or
what is motivating it. We are working on plug-ins for IE _and_
extensions for Firefox I can certainly say that there is little
technological difference; both are 'browser extensions' which are not
part of the core browser code.

But I guess you might want to point out that a Firefox extension
created by Mozilla (the XForms extension) has a different status to an
IE extension created by someone other than Microsoft (formsPlayer).
Other than that there is little more that you can say about browser
extensions.

Regards,

Mark

--