Re: Reverting to nodeset version of choose(), was Re: Reaching a conclusion about choose()

Considering all points of view expressed on this issue over time, I agree.

It seems best overall and thinking forward to let choose() take and return
objects, and not to rationalize the return type based on the input types.

I'm convinced, and Kenneth said he could live with it, and you're
convinced, so perhaps if we can get Leigh's to comment if he could either
be convinced or at least live with this, then we could ask the WG for a
resolution next week.

Thanks,
John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM: Lotus Forms Architect and Researcher
Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Erik Bruchez <ebruchez@orbeon.com>
Sent by: public-forms-request@w3.org
08/08/2007 06:37 AM
Please respond to
ebruchez@orbeon.com

"Forms WG (new)" <public-forms@w3.org>
cc

Subject
Re: Reverting to nodeset version of choose(), was Re: Reaching a
conclusion  about choose()

John,

Thanks for detailing the initial reason we wanted choose(). The way I
see it, the initial XForms 1.0 if() function was defined too
restrictively and choose() is an attempt at doing if() the right way
(including a slightly less dangerous name).

With that perspective, we should consider the XPath 2.0 way the
standard to aim at. Even if we happened to dislike XPath 2.0 or its
"if" construct, it is there to stay and it had probably seven years of
effort on it, so we should still aim at a convergence with it.

I realize that we can't do *exactly* what XSLT 2.0 does. But the issue
of lazy vs. immediate function argument evaluation is a minor one in
my opinion: unless you use XPath function which have side effects (and
I don't think we have any in XForms, so these would have to be
implementation-specific functions), whether you do one or the other
won't make any difference for the author except maybe wrt performance,
although in that case so many factors are involved depending on the
XPath implementation that I wouldn't even count that.

The four XPath 1.0 types *can* make it unmodified through the choose()
function, so I don't see why we wouldn't do it and instead limit what
choose() supports. By keeping choose() with object parameters and not
rationalizing the arguments, we get as close as possible to XSLT 2.0.

So save for getting rid of choose() altogether, this remains my
preferred solution.

-Erik

John Boyer wrote:

> [...]
 >
 > Blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/JohnBoyer
 >

 > *Erik Bruchez <ebruchez@orbeon.com>*
 > Sent by: public-forms-request@w3.org
 >
 > 08/07/2007 03:19 PM
 > Please respond to
 > ebruchez@orbeon.com

 >               "Forms WG (new)" <public-forms@w3.org>
 > cc
 >
 > Subject
 >               Re: Reverting to nodeset version of choose(), was Re:
Reaching a
 >  conclusion  about choose()
 >

 > John & all,
 >
 > I appreciate all the elaboration below. But in the end it comes down
 > to this: we had in XForms 1.0 an if() function that took only
 > strings. We are now adding a choose() function in XPath 1.1 which
 > takes only nodesets. To be sarcastic, will we be adding in XForms 1.2
 > yet another function that takes only numbers?
 >
 > It seems to me that there is no reason why a single function cannot
 > take all the types available. I have said already that I don't
 > particularly like this choose() function, but if we must have it, then
 > let it be generic and take objects so that it can handle all the XPath
 > 1.0 types. That's what the XPath 2.0 if... then... else does, and then
 > migrating from XForms 1.1 choose() to XPath 2.0 if... then... else will
 > be easy for form authors.
 >
 > -Erik
 >
 > John Boyer wrote:
 >  >
 >  > Hi Erik,
 >  >
 >  > Much of Michael Kay's response characterizes what the WG is doing as
 >  > "departing from XPath 1.0" and "unilaterally extending the XPath
 >  > language [in an unintended way]".  I respectfully disagree with this
 >  > assessment.  Applications of XPath 1.0 are allowed to add
functions, and
 >  > those functions can do anything they like with their parameters,
 >  > including treating them *in the same way* that XPath 1.0 operators
treat
 >  > their parameters.  Frankly, operators are generally regarded in
language
 >  > theory as syntax sugar for two-parameter functions, so it is quite
 >  > mystifying that there might be such a reaction to an actual function
 >  > behaving the way the operators of the language do.
 >  >
 >  > Avoiding characterizations, I think it is more useful to focus on
 >  > technical examples such as the one that Michael raised.  Frankly,
it is
 >  > an instance of the issue we discussed on the telecon, but it is
useful
 >  > to see it written down as it reifies the subtlety of difference
that the
 >  > type rationalization makes.
 >  >
 >  > As you know the current XForms application of XPath 1.0 does not
offer
 >  > variable bindings, so I adjusted Michael's example to fit with
XForms.
 >  >  Here is the XPath expression under consideration:
 >  >
 >  > XPath Expression: e[f/@x = choose(@x, @x, 0)]
 >  >
 >  > If we eliminate the type rationalization, then this selects the
elements
 >  > e that meet one of two criteria:
 >  >
 >  > 1) e has attribute x and has any child f with an attribute x whose
 >  > */string/* value matches e/@x
 >  > 2) e has no attribute x and has a child f with an attribute x whose
 >  > */numeric/* value is 0
 >  >
 >  > If we keep the type rationalization, then the above XPath Expression
 >  > selects the elements e that meet one of two criteria:
 >  >
 >  > 1) e has attribute x and has any child f with an attribute x whose
 >  > */numeric/* value matches e/@x
 >  > 2) e has no attribute x and has a child f with an attribute x whose
 >  > */numeric/* value is "0"
 >  >
 >  > Michael points out that the latter approach is problematic on point
1
 >  > because the predicate will only return true (i.e. select nodes e) if
 >  > e/@x is numeric.  The screw case he identified occurs when "f" is
 >  > substituted by an expressions that includes the context node e.
In this
 >  > case we would have
 >  >
 >  > expr/@x = choose(@x, @x, 0)
 >  >
 >  > The left hand side, expr/@x, would include e/@x but the result of
the
 >  > equality comparison with the result of choose() would be false even
 >  > though choose is logically returning e/@x.  This is because both are
 >  > being converted to a number, and if e/@x does not contain a
number, then
 >  > you end up asking for the result of NaN = NaN.  In its wisdom, the
IEEE
 >  > apparently decided that NaN isn't equal to anything, not even
itself.
 >  >
 >  > The counter to this screw case is to simply point out that the form
 >  > author clearly intends for the attributes in question to be treated
as
 >  > numbers, and the type rationalization consistently treats the nodes
as
 >  > numbers.  It seems slightly more appropriate to me that the XPath
should
 >  > not be selecting nodes when the content used to select the nodes is
in
 >  > error, but frankly it also seems as though it does not really matter
 >  > since the end-user will likely have schema validation errors to deal
 >  > with anyway, which seemingly makes academic the discussion about
which
 >  > nodes are selected.
 >  >
 >  > However, if the screw case is not palatable, then I would remind
 >  > everyone that the choose() function did not have this problem in its
 >  > original formulation, which was based on nodesets rather than
objects.
 >  >  The function was added to overcome the limitation in XForms 1.0
that we
 >  > could not select between nodesets.  It was later proposed that
choose()
 >  > should operate over objects instead because there was no good
reason to
 >  > limit it to only nodesets. The above screw case is a reason, and may
 >  > even be a good one to switch back to the nodeset formulation of
choose().
 >  >
 >  > Put another way, the problem here could be seen as "Problem:
choose() is
> [...]
 > coerces
 >  >  > the types to be the same
 >  >  > C) The dynamic typing increases authoring flexibility when the
return
 >  >  > value of choose is passed as a parameter to a function that
accepts
 >  >  > object as a parameter.
 >  >  >
 >  >  > For part A, proposed resolution #1 above is more appropriate for
 > XForms
 >  >  > 1.1 because being inconsistent with the technology on which you
are
 >  >  > based trumps being inconsistent with a technology upon which a
future
 >  >  > version of the language (which will even be in another
namespace, will
 >  >  > be based).  The inconsistencies between XForms 1.x/XPath 1.0
 > development
 >  >  > and XForms 2.x/XPath 2.0 development will be much more far
 > reaching than
 >  >  > a minor difference in how the choose() function operates in the
major
 >  >  > revision of the language.
 >  >  >
 >  >  > For part B, it's not clear that the optimization makes a huge
 > difference
 >  >  > in most forms, so it does not seem to matter much whether one
gets it
 >  >  > automatically (#1) or when the author coerces the types (#2).
 >  >  >
 >  >  > For part C, the simplified design experience is more important
 > than the
 >  >  > increased authoring flexibility in this case because the
authoring
 >  >  > flexibility does not apply to very many real cases within the
 > XPath 1.0
 >  >  > and XForms 1.x function set.  The only functions we have that
take
 >  >  > objects as parameters are choose() and id(), so it seems like
very
 >  >  > special cases indeed that could benefit from the authoring
 > flexibility.
 >  >  >
 >  >  > Given all of the above, the next step really is to ask Erik if
he can
 >  >  > "live with" the decision to retain the type rationalization text
 > in the
 >  >  > choose function specification.  A communication of not being
able to
 >  >  > live with it should of course take the form of presenting some
kind of
 >  >  > sample form that that does not seem highly contrived or "very
special"
 >  >  > use case as this is what would cause some of those with the
expressed
 >  >  > opinions to change their minds...
 >  >  >
 >  >  > Let's get this discussed on the mailing list please as a Erik's
LC

http://www.orbeon.com/