Re: Please construct a task force charter

On Wednesday, August 22, 2007, 8:42:20 PM, Maciej wrote:

MS> Side note: One of Dan's quote was of an early internal version of the
MS> architectural vision document. He quoted it as:

MS> "The charter calls for two equivalent serializations to be developed,
MS> corresponding to a single DOM (or infoset, though tag soup cannot be
MS> considered to have an infoset currently, while it can have a DOM).
MS> This ensures that decisions are not made which would not preclude an
MS> XML serialization. It allows the two serializations to be inter-
MS> converted automatically. Having new language features, there is an
MS> incentive for content authors to use it; and having client-side
MS> implementations means that there is the possibility to really use it."

MS> However, the version of the vision document published actually says:

MS> "Instead, the charter calls for two equivalent serializations to be
MS> developed *by the HTML WG* [emphasis mine], corresponding to a single
MS> DOM (or infoset, though tag soup cannot be considered to have an
MS> infoset currently, while it can have a DOM). This ensures that
MS> decisions are not made which would preclude an XML serialization. It
MS> allows the two serializations to be inter-converted automatically.
MS> Having new language features, there is an incentive for content
MS> authors to use it; and having client-side implementations means that
MS> there is the possibility to really use it."

Yes. It is after all the HTML WG that is developing a document format with two serialisations, which is why the clarification was added.

MS> The quote from the official version appears not to be about this task
MS> force at all, but about the HTML language spec deliverable of the HTML
MS> WG.

MS> I mention this so we don't accidentally draw on the misquoted version
MS> of the statement.

But you can feel free to repurpose that language to cover the task force, if its seen as desirable.

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG